• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cracklehands

Cracklehands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I currently use RootsMagic 6, but want to view my whole database in an All-In-One chart. There doesn't appear to be this facility in RM6 but I have been told it is possible. Anyone know how please?

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I seem to remember posting about this topic before and Alfred has also. Take a look at all of the options of Wall Charts.

But if you have a large database, the charts generated are too large for easy display.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4269 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

RootsMagic Wall Charts do not have an all-in-one chart option. Users have tried creating such a report by editing an ancestor and descendant wall chart. I have never done that. RootsMagic does have an enhancement request in the tracking system to create an all in one chart.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

As an example, if I create a chart for one of my 4th great grandfathers, the chart is 3707.7" x 12.7" and includes 3502 individuals. I do not have free wall space large enough to display such a chart.

Color coding ancestors makes an interesting chart. Clear all colors. Pick yourself and color code all of your ancestors a specific color. Then pick some distant cousin and color code that cousin's ancestors some other color. Then generate a descendant chart for a common ancestor. Warning: The common ancestor will take the color for your cousin since that color was created last. It makes an interesting display. It works better if you do not create a chart as large as my example.

#5 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

RootsMagic has one of the better charting programs as far as editing and customizing go. It's the same underlying chart software - minus a few bells and whistles - as TMG (my primary gen program) so you can create some of the same or similar charts in RM that you see on the Wholly Genes Visual Chartform (VCF) Forum. One helpful tip I've found in RM charts is to drag the Nudge and Group toolbars down onto the chart when you are moving boxes around so you don't have to keep going up to the toolbar. Hand coloring and the color palette work the same in RM as VCF. There is an example of RM hand-coloring (making spouse boxes lighter and coloring gray the children who died young) here. That chart started out as 12"x12" and was compacted to letter size paper. Also a video I made for some RM friends on hand-coloring.

Virginia