11 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I have 50,000 plus records in my RootsMagic 3 database that I just migrated up to RM6. It looks like it went well. Now I am adding some new people. Many of the facts I am entering include the place where the event happened, and I am generally picking locations from the Places list of already used locations. Every dang time it wants to correct the place name because, apparently, I didn't use the same naming convention and abbreviations as you are expecting. I am not going to correct EVERY place in the Places list! Nor do I think I want to try to correct your Places DB that you are checking against. On the dialog that comes up there is a place to click to "leave it alone" but that button on the dialog has no keyboard shortcut key. I know all the shortcuts and I use them exclusively when I'm entering data - much, much faster without a mouse. But this means, on almost every event, that I need to move off the keyboard, move the mouse and click. I can't even use the cursor keys to get there. Much, much slower. Any ideas?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

I think it is four taps of the tab key to get to the keep as it it.
OR, you could go to the tools, Program Options and uncheck the next to bottom option and quit using the county check.
Alfred

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Use the Esc key to close the CountyCheck and it will leave the place name the way you entered it. Same as if you clicked the "keep original place".
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Is the county check in a separate database file that I can look at and maybe edit? I have 50,000+ people in my database, most have multiple events associated with them and a good % of those have place names associated with them. And when I add new people, I of course re-use those place names as much as possible and enter new places in the same style/format as the existing ones. But I'm quite prepared to believe that some of mine are incorrect or at least misleading. So, the editing I need to do is to edit both the "approved list" in the county check to match my style preference AND the "used list" in my Places database to correct errors, and thus get them both working together better. For now I have turned off the county check as Alfred suggested, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of it.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

You can use the Reports, Lists, CountyCheck report even if CountyCheck is turned off.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

So, the editing I need to do is to edit both the "approved list" in the county check to match my style preference AND the "used list" in my Places database to correct errors, and thus get them both working together better.

Think of the County Checker and Gazetteer as the standard and what your places should be working towards, not adjusting the standard to mimic your way of noting Places.

If everyone works towards an accepted standard then that data will be internationally recognised, if you adopt your own standard then it is singular. One thing I repeatedly see is the differing preferences US or United States appendix, how it should appear and whether it should appear at all. That is a different subject in my opinion and that variation of output for reports etc should be handled within RM and not tempt users to invent a new personal notation system.

I would encourage you to think on this subject carefully as with 50K+ entries making changes later is going to be a big job you would probably want to avoid.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Vyger - ("Voyager"?, did you see that Star Trek episode? :rolleyes:) - I have thought on it carefully. In fact I thought on it carefully way back when I was using Family Origins 5 and started entering data. My convention is good, it is readily understood by everyone who has seen my database (singular perhaps but not "odd"), and it is consistent through 50k+ records. Data integrity and consistency has always been one of my highest objectives, and the Places table used since the earliest versions has been one of the signature capabilities of FO and RM that I have espoused as why everyone ought to use those programs. But now RM6 decides there is a "standard" <_< ? I appreciate the gazetteer because it can tell me what county a town is in, and I usually don't know that for a new town and it's a pain to try to dig that up on the web every time. But I'm not really interested in changing all my records unless I can work out a nice simple way with some SQL update commands. So I was looking for SQL access to the tables that comprise the gazetteer so that I can get some queries running to try to rationalize the two list of places with the minimum effort. I won't promise it will look like the current RM6 standard list. But we're already long past the point where "making changes later is going to be a big job'!

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

The Gazetteer and County Check databases are not SQLite dbs. I don't know what they are or don't remember.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

The place name standard is extremely unfriendly for reports, and even outside reports the place name standard is extremely ambiguous when different levels of political subdivision have the same name. Therefore, it seems a little unwise for RM to encourage the use of the place name standard. Time and energy would be more usefully invested in the development of a better place name standard and in the layering of place name processing to separate the storage of place names from the friendly display of place names.

In the meantime, the best advice for those users whose place names run afoul of County Check is simply to turn off County Check. Better still would be for County Check processing to default to "off" when RM is first installed.

Jerry

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

The Gazetteer seems to be a verbatim copy of the FamilySearch Labs application known as:
Standard Finder - Version: 1.6.8
Place version: 4.17.0
found here -> https://familysearch...ndardLookup.jsp
and appears to also be the reference used for County Check (complete with forced usage of ', United States') ;)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

The Gazetteer seems to be a verbatim copy of the FamilySearch Labs application known as:
Standard Finder - Version: 1.6.8
Place version: 4.17.0
found here -> https://familysearch...ndardLookup.jsp
and appears to also be the reference used for County Check (complete with forced usage of ', United States') ;)

I'm sure that you are correct about where RM's standard came from. I very much appreciate that you posted a URL to the place standard that RM is using. I've never really known where to find it on the Internet. I totally understand why RM users would accept the "Standard Text" version of place names being stored in their databases, but I totally don't understand why any RM user would accept the "Standard Text" version of place names being printed in their reports. The problem is that what's stored and what's printed have to be the same. There's nothing like a "place template" to control what's printed.

To exemplify one of the numerous problems with RM's handling of places try plugging "Oliver Springs, Tennessee" without the quotes into both the Gazetteer and into Standard Finder.

My problem with Oliver Springs is that sometimes I have a record of something that happened in Oliver Springs and the record provides no information at all about which of the three of Oliver Springs' counties was the county where the event occurred. I could easily accept a warning from County Check about this situation because it's rare and I would just tell County Check to accept the place without a county designation. But I can't accept County Check's forced inclusion of ", United States" nor its forced exclusion of the words "County" and "Parish" everytime I enter a place. So I just turn it off.

Jerry

#12 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

Jerry, I got that message - turn it off - a long time ago. Good advice!
Jack

a posteriori