• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SharonH

SharonH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Just found out that my sources did not transfer from RM5 to RM6. When I click on a source or click on the Lists dropdown to source, a dialouge box pops us that says 'ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll' What the heck does that mean? For one thing it means that I can not close out that box. It refuses to close so i can go back to view person. I have to force close the entire RootsMagic and re enter. I just checked and the place, and other lists also do the same thing. Any answers?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Are you sure they didn't actually transfer, or are you assuming it to be the case based on the error occurring when trying to access a source-related item?

You might try a couple of the less involved steps here to see if any might make a difference:

http://pcsupport.abo...ssing-error.htm

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

This may be a computer system fault, not from RM. Have you made any recent changes to your system? Have you changed a drive letter? Uninstalled something? Installed something?
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 SharonH

SharonH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Actually it seems to have lost the link to the entire 'list' catagory. I did disable Java several days ago in the wake of the security breaches they encountered. Waiting for the new patches for that to enable again. I will give that a try now. And will think about what else may have been installed automatically. Thanks for the hints. Will keep you posted.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 3891 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

RootsMagic doesn't run on Java so that wouldn't be the issue. Do a Google search on 'ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll' or TomH's link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/urlmon-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm . You will see it's a problem with something on your computer.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling RootsMagic but I think the problem is deeper than that.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 sheila

sheila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hello. I have been thinking of upgrading to RM6 but am bit worried.
I have RM version 3 purchased 2006, I've not been using it much for various reasons and am now getting back into FH and checking my sources etc. The version 3 does not like multicite now, unless I'm doing it wrong, and notes don't show as a tick. question is am I better off buying it or doing the free update. and also will my tree and all it's info move over as I have these gremlins.
also the scanned and attached photos are not always but sometimes able to be seen when clicked.
I have backed up to memory stick, as zipped files but now cannot open those zipped files, that is probably me though
Any advise would be much appreciated. I hope this post is in the correct forum !
regards Sheila

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Sheila, I'd work on getting things fixed in RM3, since you'd be more familiar with it, then upgrading to RM6. Be sure that you're using the final version of RM3 (3.2.6).

How about trying to resolve each issue and then posting here the steps you took for that item if things still aren't working as expected for it?

#8 sheila

sheila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Hello, I think I have gremlins in the house. Broadband doesn't work in the afternoons and evenings :angry: even had a BT engineer here for 2 hours on Friday. most odd worked all Saturday but not at all Sunday PM.
I've open a new family to test RM3 updated to (3.2.6) as suggested. Odd but there are no sources at all on the source list in this new FT.
On my smallest FT I tried again to multicite. the only way it will do it is to type in information then go to select again. There is still no tick in the source boxes though.
Re the backuped file. they are current, I was being cautious before updating or buying RM6 especially as RM3 is malfunctioning. I thick it must be best to buy RM6 and downlaod my memory stick files to it then delete RM3 OR does RM6 actually go over RM3 ? <_<
Hopefully I'll keep broadband all day and would be grateful for tips or either of the above or even how to fix RM3 to make sure I don't lose info. Thanks

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sheila, your post about your RM3 problems is in a RM6 forum. I never used RM3 so cannot help on that front. I can confirm that you can use RM6 to import your RM3 database without fear of it changing your RM3 database. That said, if your RM3 database is already corrupted, RM6 may fail to import it completely, if at all. The free RM6 Essentials can import from RM3 so go ahead, download it and try.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

As to multicite, go to Help > Contents. In the Search tab, type in "multicite", then click enter. Locate the appropriate topic, then double-click it. Make sure your understanding of that feature is consistent with the write-up. If no sources appear in the Source List, the simplest explanation is that you don't have any sources attached to anyone in the database.

If you decide to download RM6, it can coexist with RM3, but if there's a problem with your data in RM3, importing your database into RM6 isn't likely to fix it. If I remember correctly, RM 3.2.6 was pretty stable. My recommendation had been to try to work out any data problems in RM3 before upgrading to RM6 since you'd be more familiar with RM3.