10 replies to this topic

#1 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

My great grandfather had 13 children. 8 say birth, 1 says related birth and 4 say unknown birth. I went to one that said unknown birth and went to edit person (I think). It did not have parents listed on the right side, so I put the parents in using the drop down that popped up. Now the mother and father both show their spouse twice. I can't find a way to remove one of them. Also, I can't seem to find that box that let me add the mother and father again. All the 13 children should say related birth but now I am in worse shape than when I started. Need HELP please, thank you.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

The parents are shown under the person's name on the Edit person screen in the left pane:
Persons name
Spouse(s)
Parents Father and Mother

Go to the Family view.

To change the relationships shown in the Relations column on the Family view, highlight a child and open their Edit person screen. Highlight a set of parents in the left pane. In the top right pane, open the Relationship to father and Relationship to mother menus and change the relationships.

You can choose Birth, Adopted, Step, Foster, Related, Guardian, Sealed, or Unknown.

The Relation column used is a quick visual guide to the child's relationship to the parents and does not print anywhere.

RootsMagic 6.0.0.4 is not letting me add the existing spouse a second time so that is not how you got the spouses listed/linked? twice if that is the version you are using. I get a message that says, "These two people are already linked as a couple. If they were married twice to each other you can add a second marriage fact."

I added a second set of Parents to a child and selected the same parents.

This shows the spouse twice in each of the Edit person's screen of each of parent's.

It shows the child has 2 sets of parent's at the top left of the main screen. Clicking on the arrow gives me the parent's list. One set of the same parents has 2 children and the other has 1. The set with the 1 child is the extra set of parent's I just linked.

From that menu, I chose the parents with the 1 child and double clicked select that family to make sure it was that family shown on the Family view.

Then I went to Edit, Delete, Family. The default is Unlink family members which is what I used. Click on Delete.

The unlinked family was still on the screen, so I highlighted the child and opened the Parent menu at the top left again and selected the one remaining set of parents. Moving to someone else and back will also refresh the Family view.

I could have also highlighted one of the parents and used the Spouse menu instead of the Parent menu to select the right family to unlink.

Always back up or copy a database before making any major changes.

#3 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

thank you. I was able to make them all birth related. However, I do not see the arrow you speak of to get rid of one of the two parents in each of the parents list. What I did, I do not know, but it brought up a box where you could add parents. The box had none so I added them both and then I ended up with two..

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

On the main screen, in the top left corner just above the icons for the Sidebar, you will see:

Spouses (number) down arrow
Parents (number) down arrow

Click on the down arrow to open the menu

When you add Parents, the popup reads differently depending n whether the person already has parents linked or not.

If a person doesn't have linked parents, the Add Father popup comes up. You add the father and then the Mother in another popup.

If the person already has a set of parent's linked, the Add another set of parents? popup comes up. "This person already has parents entered. Add another set of parents?

The names of the parents which have already been linked are not shown on this popup.

This is the screen you used to add the duplicate parents. There is no other way.

Read popup screens carefully before you click Yes/No or whatever buttons the popup screen has to complete the action. It is tempting to not take time to read the popup screen helps and just click to finish what you are doing. Been there, did that. :) But, you can save yourself a lot of trouble if you read.

#5 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thanks, Well I am learning that there is a place for everything. When I use Word, if it doesn't do it with a right click I am out of luck, so I will have to learn these tricks. Yes, I found what you are talking about. That is not what I used however. I don't know where it was but the only thing I have used that I know of is EDIT/Person. Anyway, when I click on each spouse using the down arrows it shows the same. There are two spouses listed, one with 13 children and one with 1 child. I see the pop ups but don't see a way to get rid of the one duplicate parent in each. One shows add or rearrange spouses and the other shows add new parents. The father shows 13 children in one spouse and 1 in the other, and with the mother it is the same, 13 in one and 1 in the other. Oh my, now what?

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

You do not go back to the Add parent screens or the Edit person screen to fix your mistake.

A double click is 2 left clicks close together.

On the Spouse screen you found, left click on the Spouse with one child. It seems that a double click is my habit and it only takes one left click.

What you want is the parents with the one child showing on the Family view screen. This is the family that will be unlinked.

At the top left of the main screen right under where it shows which database you are in you will see Edit. Left click on Edit

Click on Delete.

Leave the check mark on the default, Unlink family members

Be careful!!!!!!! If you check Delete family members, all the members in that selected family will be deleted from the database.

Left click Delete button.

Problem is fixed!

The Family view now needs to be refreshed. Go back to the Spouse menu and select the one spouse which is now shown there.

#7 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yes, she is gone along with a few thousand others. I did just as you said but it didn't work. The only thing I deleted was the spouse. Can't re enter her because that whole side of the family is gone from the list.

#8 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I started over with a new upload of an old saved data base. Thanks for all the help, I learned quite a bit. Maybe when my disk comes there will be some instructions. Of course they will be on the computer so I will have to print them off. I just can't seem to grasp anything off a computer. Old school, need a book.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

This webinar might help: 40. Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic - www.rootsmagic.com/webinars
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

There is a book:

http://www.rootsmagi...RootsMagic-Book

#11 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thank you both for the webinar info and the book. I missed that webinar and the info was the very first example. May just have to buy the book. Those webinars are great but take so long and my wife is not into genealogy. Thinks I should stick with the living lol. the computer is in the basement so I am not available when watching webinars. Great stuff as far as I am concerned. Have around 66,000 entries, mostly from Ardal, Norway, many from Sogn Norway and the rest mostly from Europe and US. I will try to watch all the webinars eventually. Book will be handy however. Thanks again. I will probably be back, but hopefully not as often.