• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jim Linder

Jim Linder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

OK, getting closer to my family history book. First section is a 60 page "historical narrative" that tells the story of all the family lines on my dad's side. Having it proof read by a couple people. First feedback was that the order of presentation made it hard to follow each family. Here is the flow of my story:

European Ancestors single page overview
European Place A
Oldest Family Line A
European Place B
Next Oldest Family Line B
(only 5 family lines/places)

North American Ancestors single page overview
NA Place A
First NA Immigrant (Family Line B )
NA Place B
Next NA Immigrant (Family Line A)
Next NA Immigrant (Family Line C)
NA Place C
(4 North American places)

In other words, I break each family down in Europe by Family line, oldest first, describe their place of origin, its history, living conditions, possible reason for leaving, then jump to North America, describing each place of immigration, its history, oldest first. I follow their movements across the continent, (Canada, Wis, Neb, Cal) describing how each family line intermarries eventually tying into my dad's family. Table of contents shows 9 items, listed by location.

First proof reader said "It was hard to read about one family then stop and read about another only to pick back up with the same family when they got to North America."

I thought about following an entire family start to end, but I anticipate that the overall story of the entire ancestry would be lost. I feel the relationship of families to places and to other families would be disjointed, since the first family spoken of in almost all cases was not the first immigrant to any one place.

It would be easier if the oldest family line was my fathers, but his line is relatively short, with lines of his mother and grandmothers being longer.

How have all of you done it?

Thanks
Jim

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: family history, book