12 replies to this topic

#1 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

How do I delete 4 children that are totally blank?

I click on the blank child that I want to delete, and then go to edit and delete person, and it tells me I first have to click on person in order to delete them.

The children appear to have been added by New FamilySearch or FamilySearch's FamilyTree

#2 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

How do I delete 4 children that are totally blank? The children appear to have been added by New FamilySearch or FamilySearch's FamilyTree.

I mean, I know how to do it normally, but the normal process doesn't work.

I click on the blank child that I want to delete, and then go to edit and delete person, and it tells me I first have to click on person in order to delete them. But I DID click on a 'person.'

Any suggestions?

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I would try deleting the family and then re linking those that belong in it.

Right click on one of the parents and choose delete family, the default is to unklink the people from the family, don't choose the other option which would remove the people from the database.

Next, you will have to add a spouse, (press the s key) "Select existing person" to one of the parents and do the same for the proper children (press the c key).
Alfred

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

I'd first try File > Database tools to see if they happen to fix the problem. If not, I'd then try Alfred's method. In that case, it's probably best to do so in Family view.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

They are what we refer to as Ghost Children. Go to Tools>Database Tools and run all the options there in consecutive order. The primary one that will remove them is Clean Phantom Records. It's just always good to run the others ones every once in a while too.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Peggy

Peggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Renee,

Your procedure for ghost children was perfect!

I found Database Tools under the File menu.

Thank you!!!

Peggy

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Ooops didn't realize I said to find it under Tools there. Glad you found it anyways.
Renee
RootsMagic

#8 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Ooops didn't realize I said to find it under Tools there. Glad you found it anyways.

Maybe that means the option should be under Tools rather than File... That is where I would look for Tools

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

It's suppose to be under File. I agree I would automatically look under Tools, but its always been under File so we will leave it there.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's suppose to be under File. I agree I would automatically look under Tools, but its always been under File so we will leave it there.

Is there any law that says it couldn't be under both places?

Jerry

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

I asked the RootsMagician and this is the reasoning.

Q. Why is Database Tools under File and not under Tools?

A. Because the Database Tools fix the files. Tools are for manipulating the data... not the file structure. File items are for working with the physical files: Open, Close, Delete, Rename, Fix (Tools), etc.
Renee
RootsMagic

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

I agree, in general, but the new Delete Phantoms does modify data. Tools > Problem Search could/should include a Phantoms search and the optional fix.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 rossko57

rossko57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hot tip, worked for me too.  I'd somehow created a ghost in attempting to link a child with unknown father to a real father.  Thanks!