7 replies to this topic

#1 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hi, I just purchased RM after having an old FTMaker with few options. I knew there were problems with the old data but could not find it. Now it appears that it is these duplicate names. For instance, my father and grandfather are listed as step. My grandfather and some others are listed twice, my grandfather with the name Peter and Per but both have the same number and same info and even though Peter is on the left side with all the names, he come up Per. I have merged all that the program would merge, leaving around 100 or more with dates different out of a data base of around 60,000 or more. These names with the plus sign will not merge because they have the same number and are exact. How can I get rid of one of them or merge them? I tried delete, but that deleted all the linked names also. Thanks,

#2 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

These names with the plus sign will not merge because they have the same number and are exact. How can I get rid of one of them or merge them? I tried delete, but that deleted all the linked names also. Thanks,

The names that have the + sign beside them in the name index are alternative names. This is why they have the same person number as the other name. If you want to delete the name open up that persons edit person screen, select the alt name and delete it. This will leave the main person still in your database.
But if you want to record alt. names to help you when looking for records for that person it's good to leave them there.

If you simply don't want the alt names showing up in the name index, then click on the "options" button at the top of the left side bar and unselect show alt names.

#3 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Ok, thanks, that solves part of the problem, but my grandfather shows up as step even to my father. I can't figure out where it is going wrong. Yes, I have Peter and Per as the name, Peter as alternative name even though that was his name in the US. He was born Per. So I think you are telling me that it should not make a difference as to the step getting in there. It has been like that since importing a long time ago. Can't figure it out. Hate to do 60,000 some names by hand.

#4 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

One thing that just came to mind is the last names are different even though the records are the same. Perhaps I could delete that last name. Both his first and last name changed when he came to America.

#5 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ok, thanks, that solves part of the problem, but my grandfather shows up as step even to my father. I can't figure out where it is going wrong. Yes, I have Peter and Per as the name, Peter as alternative name even though that was his name in the US. He was born Per. So I think you are telling me that it should not make a difference as to the step getting in there. It has been like that since importing a long time ago. Can't figure it out. Hate to do 60,000 some names by hand.

Sorry I missed that in the first post. Ok you mean your father and his father are both listed as step fathers? To fix that on the edit person screen for each of their children click on the parents names. It should be the 3rd line from the top in the edit person screen. When that is highlighted look to the right side of the screen. It has a selection drop menu to pick the type of relationship. Change it from step to birth if that is what you need. Do this for each of the children, that it's showing the wrong relationship for.

As for the alt names, I have ancestors who changed their names after coming to Canada or the USA. I include them because it helps me to remember what to look for in records. It's ok to leave them, when you find Per in the listing and edit him it is the same record as Peter as long as the record numbers match. So no matter what name you click on the facts/events will be the same. I also include spelling changes etc. The name you have in the main name box in the edit person screen will be the primary name for that person and used in reports.
Does that make sense?

#6 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Thank you very much. I will try that tomorrow, I am exhausted after trying all day at this.

#7 Battleax45

Battleax45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Amazing how well things work when you know what to do. I removed all the plus signs. Most were the same name in the alternate. A few were nicknames which I put into the correct box and then deleted the alternate, and a few were several names with different spellings or completely different. In these cases I made a note of the names. The name in the name box was correct so no need to save two of them with a plus sign. It also appears that this solved my step problem as my father is now my father which is nice to know lol.
Thanks for the help.

#8 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the help.

Your welcome! Glad to help if I can. :)