• PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Create a Group of first cousins:

Create a new Group

Highlight one Paternal grandparent.

Mark group:

Select Descendants of highlighted person

On the next screen, choose Descendants only and 3 generations. Grandparent is generation 1, their children are generation 2 and first cousins are generation 3.

Unmark the Paternal grandparent.

In the right pane go to each of that person's chidren in turn and unmark them. You can scroll down and pick the next sibling to unmark in the right pane from a child's right pane record.

Repeat for a Maternal grandparent if you want first cousins from both sides included.

First cousins are now marked.

Unmarking Death exists is False will give you first cousins who have a Death fact and unmarking Death exists is True will give you first cousins who do not have a Death fact. If you use the Stillborn fact instead of a Death fact, you should add that fact to the search criteria. Or you could use the Living tag is False or True for the search criteria instead of the Death and Stillborn facts if the Living tags on the Edit person screens are correct.

You may have to adjust who is marked and unmarked depending on if the Grandparents were marred more than once with children by the other marriages or if you want to include step children's descendants.

Select the People view and in the menu that says Show everyone, choose your Group name. Or use the Group in various reports.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Mark group:

Select Descendants of highlighted person
On the next screen, choose Descendants only and 3 generations. Grandparent is generation 1, their children are generation 2 and first cousins are generation 3.

Unmark the Paternal grandparent.

In the right pane go to each of that person's chidren in turn and unmark them. You can scroll down and pick the next sibling to unmark in the right pane from a child's right pane record.

Even easier, I think. would be to mark descendants for 3 generations and then to unmark descendants of the same person for 2 generations.

Jerry

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Jerry, That is much easier. I seem to have forgotten about that. :mellow:

#4 MessengerFamilyGuy

MessengerFamilyGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

It took me a bit to even figure out what you were talking about. I have never looked into the group tab over by index and family tabs. The cousin idea is good.

It would be much nicer if the rules were dynamically applied to the currently selected person. In this particular case of 1st, 2nd, etc. cousins, where it applies to everyone, a report would be good.

It would also be nice if a list count was displayed.

I just did this for 1st second and third cousins. The problem is that The third cousin group actually includes the second cousin group. It would be nice to be able to perform logical group operations like AND, OR, XOR. Then to do what I just did (1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousins) I would not have to do 1st cousins three times in order to first create the first cousins group and then, do it once again to subtract the first cousins out of the second and then again out of the third cousins group. Instead if under unmark I could just select the 1st cousin group, and second cousin group, then my third cousin group would only have third cousins.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

I just did this for 1st second and third cousins. The problem is that The third cousin group actually includes the second cousin group.

For first cousins, pick the ancestor, mark 3 generations, and unmark 2 generations. For second cousins, pick the ancestor, mark 4 generatons, and unmark 3 generations. For third cousins, pick the ancestor, mark 5 generations, and unmark, 4 generations. With this procedure, the third cousin group should not include the second cousin group.

Jerry

#6 MessengerFamilyGuy

MessengerFamilyGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

For first cousins, pick the ancestor, mark 3 generations, and unmark 2 generations. For second cousins, pick the ancestor, mark 4 generatons, and unmark 3 generations. For third cousins, pick the ancestor, mark 5 generations, and unmark, 4 generations. With this procedure, the third cousin group should not include the second cousin group.

Jerry

It included them