7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Ok..went to computer store today and had a new hard drive installed in desk top. Also, Installed Win7 and having beau coup difficulty getting RM6 installed in the correct Programs folder.

The installation defaults to Program Files (x86). Course, it won't run there but when I move the folder from (x86) to Program Files, it runs but won't load any of the data files stored in a sub folder.

So, how do I tell RM6 to install itself in the Program Files folder instead of the (x86) folder?

I'm thinking I should have stayed with XP on the desktop.
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1557 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Jack, I have Windows 7 just recloned my laptop back to orginal settings for Win 7 and have RootsMagic 6 in Program Files (x86) and is working just fine. I believe the version 6 was set up to run in that folder. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1366 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I've been using Win7 since Dec. 2011 with RM5 and RM6. No problems with operations. Remember to place your DATA files outside of the Program FIles path. Windows severely limits ALL programs ability to modify files in the Program Files path. I place my data files on a separate drive. Program Files are on drive C: and Data Files are on drive E:. This scheme also gives me a simple way to backup data files (which change often) and not bother with program files (which rarely change).

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well, when I do that - data files on separate drive and RM6 in (x86) - I get an error message telling me "error: attempt to write a read only database (8)." I'm going to move the data files to drive c and try that.

OK, when I moved files from other drive to C and placed in a folder outside the (x86) folder everything worked.

Thank all for the help!

PS: I think the reason for the error message is that the external drive is compressed and Win7 probably didn't know how to handle that. Once I moved them to the Win7 drive, they were de-compressed and load ok.
Jack

a posteriori

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

Jack,

For all sorts of reasons I would recommend you keeping all data, RM and otherwise on a different drive physical or otherwise. Then in the case where you upgraded the operating system all data files are effectively immune to this upgrade or any restoration on the system drive, even a partition of your existing drive would do.

After doing that you should at least have a D: drive so go to Start menu, right click on Documents then Properties and "Include a Folder" pointing to your preferred location on D: "My Documents" in my case. - Once you have the new location highlight it and click "Set Save Location", once that is done you can remove the reference to the original location if you wish.

Reasons: leave the system drive as just that, the new drive partition contains only data and not system files, the new drive or partition can be mirrored or synchronized to another external drive or in my case a network drive and my laptop so I have all my important files on each.

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7961 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

RootsMagic needs to be installed in the (x86) Program Files. Moving the files all over the place are going to get you a warning that your using RootsMagic in To-Go mode.You will see that notice when you try to install an update. More than likely the error that your file was read only is because they were copied and you need to right click on the file, select Properties and uncheck "Read-Only". Like others said make sure you do not store you database (.rmgc) file inside the program files.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rich Larsen

Rich Larsen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Reasons: leave the system drive as just that, the new drive partition contains only data and not system files, the new drive or partition can be mirrored or synchronized to another external drive or in my case a network drive and my laptop so I have all my important files on each.

Hi Vyger

I am just wondering how you set up your network? I have my main desktop from which I do my profession and quite often genalogy. I have tons of space on this machine dedicated to Family History which I would like to keep as my main location for that purpose as it is backed up by Carbonite. But I would also like to make a mirrored copy to my home server so that I could work on it from any machine on the network. and make sure that it syncs with my main location. In the past I have used Puresync to sync files on a thumb drive which worked pretty well, but I haven't tried it for network syncing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, so that I make sure that I am on the up-and-up, should I have a license of RM for each machine that I use on the network or would one license suffice?

Thanks, Rich

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

It's very straight forward, Control Panel > Networks & Internet and basically set up a Home Network, you will eventually get a Key which you will then enter into other computers on your Home Network. All you have to do apart from that is set your folders for sharing on both or multiple machines you can then network over your wireless or stick a cat5 cable into the laptop and drag files back and forth or synchronize the folders using third party software.

Probably better to read a step by step approach here but it is very simple.

http://windows.micro...rk-in-windows-7

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root