7 replies to this topic

#1 Queencole

Queencole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

Hi friends

I can't help feeling I am being unbelievably thick, but I can't find out how to load and print an existing Wall Chart without going through the create process. So I just create a chart I don't want and then use the file open option from within the RMChart display screen. Surely there's a simpler way to get at charts you've already generated ? I cannot find a File/Open or Report /Open command anywhere within RM6 itself that allows you to search for and open an existing chart. Please someone - switch the light on for me :wacko: Thank you.

#2 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

The RM wall charts have a .rmc extension. You can set it up in Windows so chart files with that extension will open when you double click on them.

Find your chart file and rightclick on it. Select File Open With. Browse to the RM chart.exe file and select it. The (default) path to that file is shown in the screenshot here (click on Full Size at the top of the screen to enlarge the screenshot):

http://screencast.com/t/JJKWtiImmYmF

Virginia

#3 Queencole

Queencole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Brilliant Virginia. Thank you.

Don't you think it would be a good idea though if RM had an 'Open Existing' option in the report generator ? Maybe I should post it on the Wishlist?

Regards, and Happy New Year

Andrea

#4 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

Andrea -

The workaround is a standard Windows function, a good thing to know in general - and not that difficult to do. It might be nice to have an option in RM if it is a simple thing to program but I suspect the Wishlist is over-populated as it is <g>.

Virginia

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

The RootsMagic Chart is a separate program.
As you create a wall chart it is created in RootsMagic Chart which has it's own menu and toolbar.
You can save the chart from there and open it later without even opening RootsMagic itself.

If you want, you can create a shortcut on the desktop for RootsMagic Chart by going to the RootsMagic folder in the Program Files and right clicking on RMChart and choosing to create a shortcut, With Vista it tells me It cant create one there but can on the desktop.

=== Edited ===
BOY! did it ever take me a long time to type this up :wacko:
Alfred

#6 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Good idea, Alfred. You can also do that from the Windows Start menu on the taskbar.

Windows Start Menu / All Programs / RootsMagic 6 (click on to get dropdown list) / RootsMagic Chart / rightclick / Send to Desktop (shortcut)

Virginia

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I thought that there was an easier way, but I cannot seem to remember to forget.
Or is it that I forget to remember?

That's the reason it took me so long, I had to do it step by step to make sure it worked. <_<
Alfred

#8 Queencole

Queencole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Love you all. Many thanks for helping a thicko !
Sorted :D

Happy New Year