• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 annjenni

annjenni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

I have just loaded RM6 having previously been using RM4. I now have some duplicated facts when I view a person in the Edit Person Screen or the Timeline. Each time one fact is as it always has been and the duplicate has a double-headed diagonal arrow in a box to the left of the fact (green background, white arrow).
Also when selected the fact with the arrow symbol does not display anything in the Sentence section at the bottom right of the screen. Both facts appear to have the same information in the notes, sources and share sections.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

The green square with white diagonal double arrow signifies that the person is sharing a fact/event belonging to some other person who has the Principal Role. In the Principal person's edit screen, the fact appears normally; the icon appears beside the shared fact/event only in those screens belonging to those with a non-Primary role in the event. However, strange as it may seem, RM does not prevent a fact to be shared with the Principal person, who then ends up with dual roles, Principal and one of the others. That may explain why you see duplication between the two events.

The sentence is blank because in your FactType List, no sentence template has been defined for that role for that FactType.

I recommend reading RM Help on Search > Fact Type and Search > shared fact.
Tom user of RM6310 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

In the Edit Person window, you can turn off the display of the green icon shared facts by going to the options menu and clicking on "<-show shared events".
Once the checkmark is removed they go away.
Alfred

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Uncheck the show shared events on the Options menu on the main Timeline view.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#5 annjenni

annjenni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Many thanks for your swift and helpful replies.

The duplication is not occuring with the principal person's records but with some of those who share the event.
I have set up the sentence type as TomH suggested but am concerned that events are being randomly duplicated so I am now having to check all entries in the database and either delete duplicates and/or amend the sentences.

I tried going to the options menu and clicking on "<-show shared events", however although when the checkmark is removed not only do the green double-headed arrows go away but so do all the shared facts.

I will just press on with the checking.

Thanks again.

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

When you link a fact to the Principal, it only links the fact directly to that Principal. Then it is shared with the Sharees. It does not link the fact directly to the Sharee.

The link is:
Fact>Principal>Sharee
Not:
Fact>Principal
Fact>Sharee

This is why the fact for the Principal still shows.

The double headed arrow means that fact is a fact that has been shared with that Sharee from the Principal's fact so the shared fact disappears when show shared events is unchecked on the Timeline main view.

If you go to the fact on the Principal's record and also share the fact with the Principal and check the show shared events, you will see 1 fact as the fact linked to the Principal and 1 fact Shared with the Principal as a Sharee. The sentence linked to the Principal will print as the sentence template for the Principal on the Fact type list. The sharee sentence will print for the sharee role sentence template for the role you choose.

If you have duplication of a shared fact on the Sharee's Timeline, you have shared the fact with that person twice. You will need to remove one instant of that person from the People who share this fact screen.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-