• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 YvonneStrong

YvonneStrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I am probably out of order here but honestly don't know where to post this question - so hopefully forgiveness is the word for today. My computer crashed and had to be formatted. I started with RM 3 and updated to RM 4 and don't know how many other updates I actually did. My Registration Key for RM 3 is XXXXXXXXXXX. According to my RM 3 Disk this key is no longer valid. So, is it just easier for me to purchase the new RM? If yes, will my backup for my old RM work in the new version? I certainly hope someone can help me - please.

Thank you.

Yvonne

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Contact Tech Support by phone or email, coordinates on the RootsMagic website and ask for your RM4 registration key which they will have if you registered the software.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3306 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

RM 6 will convert your RM 4 database. Copy the RM4 database either from within RM4 or with Windows Explorer copy files feature and convert the copy. RM4 will not open a file converted to a RM6 file.

I am not sure if you can convert a file directly from a backup in RM6. You could unzip the backup file with a Zip program and then convert the unzipped database. I would copy the backup file first if I wanted to keep the RM4 file backup.

You are missing all the great new features now in RM6 by staying with RM4. You can install RM6 and keep RM4 if you choose not to overwrite RM4 when you install RM6.

I have my registration keys for RM 3-6 in a text file saved in all the places I save backups, jump drives, computers, email to myself, Dropbox, etc.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 YvonneStrong

YvonneStrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Contact Tech Support by phone or email, coordinates on the RootsMagic website and ask for your RM4 registration key which they will have if you registered the software.

Thanks. However every one is on vacation. So my question now is if I purchase the new edition of RM will my backup disk, or eternal back work on the RM 6? Appreciate your suggestions.

#5 YvonneStrong

YvonneStrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

RM 6 will convert your RM 4 database. Copy the RM4 database either from within RM4 or with Windows Explorer copy files feature and convert the copy. RM4 will not open a file converted to a RM6 file.

I am not sure if you can convert a file directly from a backup in RM6. You could unzip the backup file with a Zip program and then convert the unzipped database. I would copy the backup file first if I wanted to keep the RM4 file backup.

You are missing all the great new features now in RM6 by staying with RM4. You can install RM6 and keep RM4 if you choose not to overwrite RM4 when you install RM6.

I have my registration keys for RM 3-6 in a text file saved in all the places I save backups, jump drives, computers, email to myself, Dropbox, etc.

Good idea concerning keeping my registration keys, but I didn't do so! I lost everything and am working with a reformatted computer. In order to make sure that Carbonite has backed up everything, I need to redownload one of the RM programs. So because I can't contact anyone because everyone is on holiday vacation I am only left with the hope that my RM4 back will work.

I know I sound frustrated but you know how it goes. I certainly do appreciate your suggestions and help. Another problem is that I do not have the same email address that I had when when I upgraded to RM 4 as we have moved to a different state. Again, thanks.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I edited out your RM key on your original post. We are still working but not full hours. Leave a message on the phone for a registration lookup or send an email to support at support@rootsmagic.com .
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 YvonneStrong

YvonneStrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I edited out your RM key on your original post. We are still working but not full hours. Leave a message on the phone for a registration lookup or send an email to support at support@rootsmagic.com .

Thanks Renee. I did just that this morning. I emailed Support. Also, I found my receipt when I updated to 5 but it did not have my key on it. So, I was using RM 5 and not 4. Carbonite restored my RM file and I also have it backed up on an external drive and a DVD. So hopefully once I can get RM back on my computer one of my backups will work. I haven't been working on my genealogy for sometime as we moved hence my confusion on which program I am using.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4048 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Yvonne,

I just send you the registration keys for RM3, RM4 and RM5.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 YvonneStrong

YvonneStrong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yvonne,

I just send you the registration keys for RM3, RM4 and RM5.

Renee,

Thank you so much. I now have my RM 5 back and the import of my genealogy information went smooth - all is well. After I have the chance to take a look at RM 6 I will most likely upgrade. I have to say that the service for RM is great!

Yvonne