22 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Gazetteer contains mainly current place names, few historical, I think. That's why I have it against Current Place Name. And Gazetteer contains geographical coordinates for its places, I think - that's why I put GeoCode with it. And Mapping sort of follows from that...

For your example, I understand the dilemma. There are two current counties both having the same Historical Place Name in one period:

Historical Current
Greenbrier County, Virginia (1778-1897) Monroe County, West Virginia OR Greenbrier County, West Virginia
Monroe County, Virginia (1897-1863) Monroe County, West Virginia
Monroe County, West Virginia (aft 1863) Monroe County, West Virginia
Greenbrier County, Virginia (1897-1863) Greenbrier County, West Virginia
Greenbrier County, West Virginia (aft 1863) Greenbrier County, West Virginia

Without a Place Detail, i.e., Rehoboth Church, near Union, which is currently in Monroe, the Current Place Name is ambiguous. County Check is helpless without Union or even a nonsensical town as part of the Place Name but, even with it, could mislead thus requiring an external reference to resolve.

Geocoding does not really have a problem with all these historical changes. The church has not moved so its Place Detail coordinates are constant. The Current Place coordinates are going to be the centre of the current County. That the Place and Place Detail coordinates do not match is immaterial and no different for any other Place and Site combination. In the absence of Site coordinates, the Place coordinates is an approximation, good enough for large scale mapping.

Geocoding and mapping figure so significantly in RM because users have asked for it. I don't quite follow why you don't get it when you make such use of mapping externally. RM could do a better job of it, true. It could export events near places in a way more suited to GPS waypoint systems and to external mapping systems, e.g., KML files.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Renee, would you kindly move everything below the first message to Issues (or maybe it fits better under Wish List) under the subject "County Check, Places, Geocoding et al" or words to that effect? with corresponding tags :)

Edited by TomH, 02 December 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Renee, would you kindly move everything below the first message to Issues (or maybe it fits better under Wish List) under the subject "County Check, Places, Geocoding et al" or words to that effect? with corresponding tags :)

When I split this topic it would not allow me to add tags.
Renee
RootsMagic