3 replies to this topic

#1 magenta

magenta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Hi all,

I am excited beyond comprehension. I found a box that I thought was lost during a move 15 years ago. It has gedcom files on 3 1/2 floppies. At that time I was running FTM and Roots. I think there might be PAF too. (here's hoping)

My question is: before I go to all the trouble to find a way to read these files, can RM read files this old? Has the gedcom structure changed or is there anything it would be helpful to know?

Now that I have found this box, I am highly motivated to start doing genealogy again and thus am purchasing RM.

My second question is this: Are there any utitilies, programs, apps, whatever that are must haves for RM? I am a techhead and will want all the bells and whistles.

Thanks!
Nikki

#2 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Although I can't help you with the answers -_- , I just wanted to say Congratulations! What a wonderful Christmas present. :)
Your future work sounds like quite the adventure.

Best wishes and Happy New Year.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

RootsMagic 6 should have no problem importing those old GEDCOM files.

I purchased a 3.5" floppy drive with an USB connector some time back, I don't remember too well but it seems it was about $15 then, I don't know how hard they would be to find now though.

I think a 1997 FTM file will import into RM6 directly, as will a PAF file, I don't know about the Roots files though, but GEDCOMS should be no problem.
Alfred

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Now that I have found this box, I am highly motivated to start doing genealogy again and thus am purchasing RM.

My second question is this: Are there any utitilies, programs, apps, whatever that are must haves for RM? I am a techhead and will want all the bells and whistles.

Thanks!
Nikki

You can test if RM will import those GEDCOMs satisfactorily for free using the RootsMagic Essentials software. It is just a partially restricted version of the full, paid version and you convert it to full simply by entering the registration key that is emailed to you after the online purchase. There are no outboards that are universally must-haves; depends on what you are trying to do. GenSmarts reads the RM database directly and offers suggestions for research and data cleanup. There is a free RootsMagic iOS app for viewing your database, transmitted via iTunes or DropBox. GedView is a pretty good iOS app that works well with exports from RM and, of course, RM could import from GedView GEDCOMs (not without losses and changes in both directions). RM itself is a comparatively lightweight application and can run on an Atom netbook. There are limitations in RM that may be aided and abetted using the SQLite 3 database engine externally - my signature links will take you to some useful resources.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.