PeggyF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I wish. . . .

JewishGen has two databases of communities:

1) The JewishGen Communities database with a listing of over 6,000 communites with known Jewish communities

2) The JewishGen Gazetteer based on the US Board on Geographic Names databases for 54 countries in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.

You can see more about these resources at http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/

I wish that there were a way to connect the databases so that in RootsMagic I could use the County Check procedures with these established JewishGen European databases.

I am a member of JewishGen (a non profit), and a user of RootsMagic, but not an officer of either organization. I am also not a professional programmer. However, if there were some sort of freely available parameters, I would be willing to look for volunteers to help with this project.

Peggy Mosinger Freedman

PS If it is reasonable to begin this project within a year, it would be wonderful to have RootsMagic present at the International Association of Jewish Genealogy Societies Conference in Bosotn on August 4-9, 2013. Calls for papers are due January 6.
http://www.iajgs2013.org/
Peggy Mosinger Freedman

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I don't think I am following very well what you are looking for. How do you want CountyCheck to interact with these databases?
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 PeggyF

PeggyF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

The map in Eastern Europe has changed quite a bit over the years - I will use an easy example:
If you search for the city of Vilnius and choose the Exact Spelling search in the JewishGen Communities database http://www.jewishgen...ties/Search.asp, you will get an entry that shows that
Vilnius is now in Lithuania,
after World War II it was in the Soviet Union,
between World War I and World War II it was called Wilno and was in Poland,
and before World War I it was part of the Russian Empire.

There is also District and Province information for the town. I would like to be able to access this JewishGen database from RootsMagic. It would help me make my place names more accurate regardless of whether I choose to always use the current place name or I choose to use the place name at the time of the record.

Does this make more sense?
Peggy Mosinger Freedman

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I will add that as an enhancement request for CountyCheck to include the information. Currently CountyCheck only covers the US, UK, Canadian and Australian counties and states.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 PeggyF

PeggyF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I understand that this would have to be a cooperative effort - JewishGen would probably have to give permission to use the database. I also understand that the world is a big place, and genealogists are interested in many places.

Is there anything that I can do to help?
Peggy Mosinger Freedman

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

You could open a support ticket so we have your email address on file if we need to contact you for help. (support@rootsmagic.com)
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jewish, Gazetteer, place names