• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ElsieC

ElsieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hello. I am new to Roots Magic 6 and have a question about citing sources. I am starting by typing in the people, dates, etc. from one source (a book) at the moment. When I add the person's name to RM, I cite this source as the "person" source. When I type in the person's date of birth, do I cite the source again as the "birth" source, and again for "marriage" source, and again for the "death" source, since this book shows all that information? As I go through my boxes of family tree papers, my source list will grow and I assume I will have multiple "birth" sources, "death" sources, and so on. I just want to be sure I am doing it right before I get too many names entered.

Thank you.

ElsieC in Ohio

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

How you do your sources is your choice and sounds like you are doing okay.

I personally do not put a source with the person, if the source also includes birth, marriage etc... If there is no birth info or other event, I still set up a source for the birth without dates and sometimes place to id this person is mention as a child of .....

I am trying very hard to eliminate the source with the person as I have found over the years of using RM it is not a good process for me to use.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 ElsieC

ElsieC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thank you for replying. It does seem redundant to enter a source for the "person" when the same source is being used for birth, date, marriage, etc. I think I will drop the "person" source, that will save some time. :)

ElsieC in Ohio

#4 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I am trying very hard to eliminate the source with the person as I have found over the years of using RM it is not a good process for me to use.

Great idea :) -- I like it. Are you making your changes "everybody-at-once" or just correcting the record as you open it for another change?

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I am doing the changes one by one, as I am going thru my database. Have a lot of dups of events and then finding ones my mother added to a person or correcting how she did imput. She did a lot of work on her grandparents, which helped but now needs cleaning and checking. Right now am rechecking and cleaning up my database while in GA for the winter.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0