• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjweeks

mjweeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

The RTF reports in RM are so bad that I looked at PDF reports.

Fonts are not embedded meaning that if you move the file to another computer or try to submit to a Print On Demand service, you are just out of luck.

No way to specify a gutter, meaning your bound book will look like crap.

Legacy is just as bad.

What do others do to professionally prepare and print their Great Works?

I am finding that there is no solution at any price.

#2 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

The RTF reports in RM are so bad that I looked at PDF reports.

Fonts are not embedded meaning that if you move the file to another computer or try to submit to a Print On Demand service, you are just out of luck.

No way to specify a gutter, meaning your bound book will look like crap.

Legacy is just as bad.

What do others do to professionally prepare and print their Great Works?

I am finding that there is no solution at any price.

I used GenBook in the past. Unfortunately, it was a DOS-based application and I did not keep it upgraded, so the version I have only works with PAF 2.3. There was a GEDCOM version, which I did not order. So even though you can run it under the D-Fend front-end to DosBox, it is no longer a viable publishing tool. It would generate WordPerfect formatting codes that could be imported into MS Word.

I have not found a good replacement for GenBook. I did use the RootsMagic 4 Publisher to publish a book for my Aunt's 90th Birthday a couple years ago, but there are a lot of capabilities within RM that could be improved to make things easier. Too bad RM6 put its emphasis on web generation and did not improve the Publisher, since there is still a valid need for generating hard-copy books for reunions and the like.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm in agreement with the need for hard-copy book needs.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 VirginiaBl

VirginiaBl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I have not done any publishing, but it looks like TMG uses embedded fonts. If I look at the File / Properties of a TMG PDF, it has 'Embedded' in parentheses after the font. I don't know about setting the gutter. There is a free trial.

Virginia

#5 mjweeks

mjweeks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I've looked at the available PDF Printer Drivers and most have all the features anyone would ever need, including control over font embedding. Family Historian uses novaPDF - very nice product. OEM version is $899.00.

I found a free one called Bullzip that does the job.

RootsMagic should make an effort.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

While I agree that the RTF reports leave something to be desired and have issues with fonts changing with each superscript for a footnote, I think you are still better off using it to prepare your publishing-ready PDF than to take the canned PDF straight from RM. As you have found, you have little control over the PDF, unless you get Acrobat or some other PDF editor. OTOH, we have discussed ways to straighten out the font jumping using MS Word which has Mirrored margins to address the need for gutters and, presumably but unconfirmed, can satisfy all other publisher requirements such as those of CreateSpace, in its PDF output or via a PDF Printer such as BullZip and CutePDF. The most important thing is that we can and must do all kinds of touchup: repaginating and reindexing, both necessary after Mirrored margins, let alone the insertion of other material; seeing exactly what we are going to get and tweaking to make it what we want. Since MS Word is the tool that seems most compatible with RM's RTF output, it is the logical choice to use. If there is a need to move up the food chain to a superior publishing software, then its .doc or .rtf file types are among the most common importable ones.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.