• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reigheena

reigheena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

So, I created a new Roots Magic file from a gedcom that had been created from Roots Magic. When I opened it, I found that the new file does not have buttons on each individual in the pedigree and family views to go directly to the "share data" view with New Family Search like the original Roots Magic file had. So now I have to open New Family Search central and find the person I want to compare to New Family Search, which is extremely cumbersome.

Is there an easy way to get my direct buttons back?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Is this not accomplished by setting the appropriate option in Tools > File settings? Something like LDS support. Normally, you set that when you create a new database.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2375 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

So, I created a new Roots Magic file from a gedcom that had been created from Roots Magic.

Creating from gedcom does not transfer your preferences, make a copy of your original file if necessary and then simply open it with RM6. The program will warn of file conversion and since you are working on a copy you should not be concerned about backwards compatibility so go ahead.

Yout preferences will be as they were in RM5.

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#4 reigheena

reigheena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ah! It was not obvious to me to look under tools for preferences. I have updated Roots Magic, but somehow, that preference didn't get copied over. I have my icons back now. Thank you for the help!

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

FamilySearch is not enabled in a new database by default. Directions on how to turn it on is in the RM Help article, FamilySearch data.

Go to Tools, File options, and click on FamilySearch on the left side of the screen and check the boxes to turn it on.

While you are on the Tools, File options screens, check the LDS support check boxes on the right side for which main screens you want the icons to show.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-