10 replies to this topic

#1 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I noticed that my new RM6 will not geocode locations like RM5 did. In RM5 I could go to the Places list, select the place, click Edit Place, then click Geocode and RM5 would automatically create the Standard Place Name and the LAT-LONG for me. That was really handy. RM6 doesn't do that even though I downloaded RM6 and the Geocode base. Did I miss doing something during setup or is there a bug?

I also noticed that RM6 does not know the lat-long for Honolulu, HI or Santa Ana CA. RM5 knew them with a single click of the Geocode button - along with their counties! I'm losing confidence in RM6.

Greg

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

My copy can geocode Honolulu, HI just fine but I have to put a comma after Santa Ana to get it to recognize Santa Ana, CA.

==========

By the way, I did NOT download a new place database when I downloaded RootsMagic 6, I am still using the one I had with RM5.
Alfred

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Greg, I think your test locations were inconsistently entered between RM5 and RM6. Neither will geo-code Honolulu, Hawaii, United States as suggested by County Checker in response to Honolulu, Hawaii while both geocode the first entry that County Checker caught out, i.e. Honolulu, Hawaii and present the same Standardized Name: Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii, United States. Honolulu, HI is recognised by both RM5 and RM6 geocoders and returns the same Standard name.

So it goes for Santa Ana, CA.

The problem is that the three part Place profferred by CountyChecker and ending in United States is discerned by Geocoder as a county, I think, not a municipality and thus it does not geocode it.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

If you have a city and county with the same name and then only enter that name once, it is considered ambiguous is RM and will not geocode.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3524 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

If you have a city and county with the same name and then only enter that name once, it is considered ambiguous is RM and will not geocode.

Then when there is a city and county with the same name and where the city is in the same county, how are you supposed to enter a place that's outside the city limits?

Jerry

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Village Park, Honolulu, Hawaii geocodes and it is in the same county as Honolulu the City, with different coordinates. Maybe there is some inconsistency.

Is there a state that has a county and city all with the same name? Now that would be ambiguous!

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Village Park, Honolulu, Hawaii geocodes and it is in the same county as Honolulu the City, with different coordinates. Maybe there is some inconsistency.

Is there a state that has a county and city all with the same name? Now that would be ambiguous!

Lots of them, Tom. I have just been doing census work in Delta, Delta Co., CO.

Or, do you mean something like state name, city name and county name the same, like New York, New York County, New York?
Jack

a posteriori

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Lots of them, Tom. I have just been doing census work in Delta, Delta Co., CO.

Or, do you mean something like state name, city name and county name the same, like New York, New York County, New York?

I meant the NY case with all three the same. Sorry, I was ambiguous B).

#9 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

In RM5 I'd often go to the places list and edit places to get the proper county names (McMinnville, OR for example would geocode to McMinnville, Yamhill, Oregon, USA). But the new RM6 geocoder forces me get the place name EXACTLY the way RM6 wants it first - basically, Cityname, Statecode, like McMinnville, OR. Any other syntax leaves a blank screen. Anyway, it feels "touchier" than it did in RM5.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

In RM5 I'd often go to the places list and edit places to get the proper county names (McMinnville, OR for example would geocode to McMinnville, Yamhill, Oregon, USA). But the new RM6 geocoder forces me get the place name EXACTLY the way RM6 wants it first - basically, Cityname, Statecode, like McMinnville, OR. Any other syntax leaves a blank screen. Anyway, it feels "touchier" than it did in RM5.

I don't think it's any different. I just took your McMinnville example and ALL of the following geocoded exactly the same:
McMinnville, OR
McMinnville, Oregon
McMinnville, Yamhill
McMinnville, Yamhill, OR|Oregon
McMinnville, Yamhill, OR|Oregon, US|USA|United States|United States of America
McMinnville, OR|Oregon, US|USA|United States|United States of America

to
McMinnville, Yamhill, Oregon, United States
45° 12' 37.01" N 123° 11' 51.00" W

So your assertion is inconsistent with my observations which suggests that there is something wrong with your reporting (maybe you used McMinnville as an example of problems you have with other places without realizing that it was actually OK) or there is a user error that you may be making or that your database is out of whack.

County Check can produce output that won't geocode so you have to change the Place until it does geocode and then revert it to County Check's name.

#11 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Tom,

Yes, McMinnville was just an example for my post - I didn't have the trouble with McMinnville specifically. My original trouble was with Santa Ana, California, and Honolulu, Hawaii - the geocode finally worked for Honolulu when I hit upon "Honolulu, HI" - none of the other variations worked, including the one with the county - until I used the two letter state code "HI". My problem with Santa Ana was a spelling error (RM6 could not find Santa Anna until I spelled Ana with one "n" - but RM made no suggestions or effort toward helping me spell it correctly). I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to how RM6 does this, which feels more restrictive than RM5.

Thanks for your time, Tom.

Greg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: geocode