2 replies to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Suppose John Jones is married to Mary Smith. Suppose they have no children, but they would like a pedigree chart including both John and Mary.

Here is a way to cheat. Add a fake child named Jones-Smith with no facts and no surname.

Pedigree charts and narrative charts will then have reasonable top of the page heading for the couple. The only disadvantage is the notation for a non-existent child named "Jones-Smith" and contamination of your database with the non-existent child.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I would modify it by naming the child, --Had no children--, in the given name only if I was going to leave the child in my database which would have some other advantages in other reports and on the Family and Descendants screen and sort the child to the top of indexes.

There would be advantages to having --Had no children-- as a child in other reports and on the Family and Descendants screen.

For a Narrative report, the Narrative report sentence can be changed to just [Person] so just the name is printed.

--Had no children-- would be easier to unmark to not be sent in a gedcom or exclude from reports rather than remember to unmark Jones-Smith.

Or you could change the name to --Jones/Smith-- or something similiar and make that name easier to exclude from gedcoms and reports and less likely to be mistaken for the child just having a hyphenated surname and no given name.

#3 raduczoid

raduczoid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

For a Narrative report, the Narrative report sentence can be changed to just [Person] so just the name is printed.

--Had no children-- would be easier to unmark to not be sent in a gedcom or exclude from reports rather than remember to unmark Jones-Smith.

I agree, i had the same problem and this method is way easier.