5 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

I love the new Find Everywhere report simply because it is a live report taking you to exactly where you want to make changes or view information. This new report format covers ground previously lacking in RM and can no doubt be very useful in a lot or areas.

In this case I have been using it to help identify Places which have typical Place Detail components within them and need splitting out. Using the Find Everywhere to search for example "cemetery" and then scrolling to the bottom of the list will show possible Place entries needing split.

Once a split is identified click on the hyperlinked "place" to enter the Edit Place UI and then select the relatively new Split Place / Details button to make the required Place / Place Details split.

Without a doubt this could be very useful in a lot of other areas and I do hope the Rootsmagician will expand this stye reporting elsewhere in RM.

Posted Image

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Agreed. FE does not search Place Details. When it does, your search will return many more results. We have seen that FE chokes or halts at some limit so we also need to be able to restrict its scope.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Agreed. FE does not search Place Details. When it does, your search will return many more results. We have seen that FE chokes or halts at some limit so we also need to be able to restrict its scope.

Just about to post a wish and was thinking along exactly the same lines but resisted after wishing for Find Everywhere it was hard to wish for Find (not so) Everywhere :D , however it the report that is appealing and would be useful elsewhere.

You will see from my screen shot that it does appear to search within Place Details. However my desire in this case would have been for it just to search Places themselves although the extra information was handy for standardizing entry format.

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

For finding places that need split into Places and Place details try out the DataClean beta.

To access DataClean, customize the Toolbar with the DataClean button. It is under Command, Tools.

Choose PlaceClean and check the Misplaced Place Details button.

You can make the change from the PlaceClean screen.

I assume it calls the same routine for splitting as Place list, Edit place, Split place/place details does, and I haven't found any problems in doing the splitting from DataClean.

But if you are concerned because DataClean is stll beta, you can run the report from another copy of the database and do the spitting from the Place list in the main database.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2959 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have been trying DataClean but it currently misses many instances of Place Details like starts with nemeric, left of first comma contains "street", "avenue" etc.

FE is using the most useful report format ever to hit FO/RM imo, a report that is not paper and is linked to the pertinent information. Just hope the Rootsmagician spreads this usefullness of "live" reporting to other areas of the program.

BTW, I work various data sets outside RM including Places & Place Details. I would like to see the Rootsmagician to close on a few minor gaps that would make working on Places & Place Details much more productive within the core program.

When PlaceClean comes out of beta I would like the option of adding my own custom Place Details identifiers which would also work well for those users in countries other than USA, Australia, UK & Ireland.

Root

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

It has some problems with what Place names it picks up for probable corrections and/or with suggestions of corrections for other choices which I don't agree with. But, what I see as an error may not bother another user. It is still a useful tool. I have already used it to go through the various choices and correct some Place names and Skip the names I didn't want to change.

Andt, why not use it for the part that is working? It does pick up my Place names that I would split if I was going to do that using the Misplaced Place Details with only that box checked.

I checked that box only and it picked up my newly added fake place of 1234 Street, May, Dee County, Texas, United States as a place I might want to split. It did not bring up a fake Place that I added that started with a character. But, how many of us starts a Place with a character? Not me. :)

I opened a copy of my database on a jump drive and set it to the Place list and ran DataCleaner in my main database saved to the laptop and didn't find any Places on the Place list to split that it missed for that choice in DataClean except the Place starting with the character.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: find everywhere, places, place details