• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 J Elting

J Elting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

In RM6, they added an icon in the “Place” field that allows us to access the Gazetteer and insert the name of the place directly from the Gazetteer into the place field.
I would like to see the same icon/feature added to the “Add Spouse” and “Add Child” dialog boxes as well.

Jim Elting

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Consistency is important, so I agree that it should be everywhere we can enter or edit a Place. So that would include the Edit Place dialog window in addition to the Add Person dialog window.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

I didn't flag it before but the first place I missed it was on the Add New Person screen which is more likely where one would want to get the Place right rather than in the Edit Person screen. I agree that anywhere we have a Place field we should have both these icons.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3402 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

I didn't flag it before but the first place I missed it was on the Add New Person screen which is more likely where one would want to get the Place right rather than in the Edit Person screen. I agree that anywhere we have a Place field we should have both these icons.

I agree. However, I also have to admit that the Add Person screen is largely lost on me. There are so many things you really can't do on the Add Person screen that I usually find it more comfortable just to type in a person's name and sex on the Add Person screen and to enter everything else from the Edit Person screen.

There has been much discussion on these forums about ways that data entry could be made easier, especially bulk data entry. The RootsMagician even chimed in that he had played around with lots and lots of different variations of data entry screens that haven't made it into the product because they didn't work out in practice. I mostly think in terms of something that looks like an Excel spreadsheet (or RM6's People View) with one line per person and with columns for the various data elements. But you would still be stuck with issues such as sources and sentence templates, not to mention how would you reflect parent/child and spouse/spouse relationships in a spreadsheet view.

In any case, the ability to get at the Gazetteer directly from the Place field of the Edit Person screen may seem fairly cosmetic. But it's not. It's a huge improvement that's much appreciated. And I concur with the desire to have the same cabability exist anywhere there is a Place field to be filled in.

Jerry

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

The RootsMagician even chimed in that he had played around with lots and lots of different variations of data entry screens that haven't made it into the product because they didn't work out in practice. I mostly think in terms of something that looks like an Excel spreadsheet (or RM6's People View) with one line per person and with columns for the various data elements. But you would still be stuck with issues such as sources and sentence templates, not to mention how would you reflect parent/child and spouse/spouse relationships in a spreadsheet view.

I also agree, single line entry being available on a customizable view would be great. For me this comes mostly into frocus where I have been visiting the records office and working through a particular record set so I usually combine these in Excel now and convert them to gedcom when finished.

Being able to enter data on a view such as People View where the user can set it up to suit the data fields of a patricular data set with copy and paset for dates and events would be great but I am not sure if I can see it coming.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gazetteer, placefinder