• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yksin

yksin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:48 PM

Okay, I asked this question just the other day on the old board, & as I hadn't checked that board since, I don't know if anyone answered it:

In my database I have a woman who was twice-widowed who, after her second husband's death, adopted a child by herself. I.e., this child had only her for a parent -- neither of the husband's were around to be a father.

How can I indicate the adoption event without giving the child two adoptive parents?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Mel

#2 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:52 PM

If I recall, Alfred answered this question on the old message board. I will try to answer it my way. I don't recall his answer exactly.

Here is the way I would do it. I would give the adoptive mother a temporary husband. So, this woman will now have three husbands. Give this 3rd husband whatever name you want. Then add the adoptive child to this couple consisting of the widow and her temporary husband. Add an adoption fact to the child.

Now highlight the temporary husband and go to EDIT > DELETE. RM will ask you if you are sure you want to delete him. Say YES. He will be deleted from the database and, of course, unlinked from the widow and adopted child.

Now, when you are in the main pedigree screen and the mother is highlighted you will need to go to the top left corner of the screen where you should see "SPOUSES: 3". If you click on the little arrow you will see 3 husbands listed. One of them will be "Unknown Spouse". Switch to Unknown Spouse or the adoptive child that is listed to see the adoptive child listed as a child of the widow.

Even when you click on the little arrow next to "SPOUSES: 3 " and see "Unknown Spouse", the widow is not really married to "Unknown Spouse" So, don't let that concern you. "Unknown Spouse" is not listed anywhere in the database as an actual individual. "Unknown Spouse is simply a placeholder. In the pedigree screen, the box for the father/husband will be appropriately blank. And if I create a ancestor report with the adoptive child as the beginning person, I don't see any mention of, or reference to an unknown spouse or adoptive father in the report.

#3 yksin

yksin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Allan, after some time away from the board I just came back to read your advice. I did just as you said & it worked great.

-- Mel