3 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

After MVS revived the Media Gallery subject and after revisiting his excellent Ged Image Tracer program it reminded me of what to me is an obvious missing feature within RM. It would not be a difficult task to add functionality to help users FIND and link currently UNLINKED Media Items in their databases.

As one who collects media faster than I can add it to RM, especially through the UI I decided to take a fresh look around Media Gallery. A simple enhancement this could be easily accomplished essentially with renamed existing widow designs and a new uncomplicated routine in the background which would greatly help users with this quest and move away from outside methods.

Some time ago I put together an Excel workbook to overcome my own needs and I have had a lot of requests from other users to help them in the same quest, so I know there is a desire out there.

In line with the Fix Broken Links Utility another tool could be Find Unlinked Media, this could use the current Fix Broken Links selection screen where Computer, Folder or Network etc. could be selected. The result should display all currently unlinked files within the chosen user defined target in a grid view within the Media Gallery Window.

Posted Image

Grey out all other buttons in Media Gallery and leave the Tag Media button available to allow users to quickly add a Tag to any highlighted and currently UNLINKED file quickly and efficiently. The user functionality after clicking the Tag Media button would work exactly the same as for Tagging an item already in the Gallery.

Posted Image

There would be lots of scope for further development, like the option for List or Thumbnail display, some options include or exclude certain file extensions. However even in its raw form where the user simply selects the currently UNLINKED file to TAG this would be a great and extremely time saving enhancement to Media Gallery.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

This gets my vote many times over. The current process of only being able to add media one at a time is in itself a barrier to keeping media links up to date; but the main problem is keeping track of all the media available that have yet to be reconciled and linked to the database. We need to be able to do all this from within RM. MVS.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Shamberg

Shamberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

EXCELLENT and much needed as we move toward even greater multi media availability.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media gallery, media, tools, utilities