• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RuthStephens

RuthStephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

When creating a master source for a census sheet, we are asked if the data is a primary or secondary source.

It would be a primary source for a census "event", but could be a secondary source for date or place of birth of birth (ex: 1900 U S Federal Census).

My question is this: when created, the master source might be a "primary" source. But how do I use the same source as a "secondary" source for another event when it is marked as a primary source? If I change the master source to "secondary", it effects all uses of that source.

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks,
Ruth Stephens

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Not to fret. The quality of the source is stored with the citation and can vary with each citation according to how it supports the fact. So, yes, set the citation as primary for the Census event and as secondary for all others.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 RuthStephens

RuthStephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Thanks, Tom! I think I figured it out. I was "memorizing/pasting" a source to another event and didn't realize that I would have to change the citation quality as needed. Ex: a death certificate would be Primary for a death date/location event but would probably need to be changed to Secondary for a birth date/location event.
Have a great day!
Ruth Stephens

#4 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Not to fret. The quality of the source is stored with the citation and can vary with each citation according to how it supports the fact. So, yes, set the citation as primary for the Census event and as secondary for all others.

Oh man, now I didn't know you could do that!! I thought if you used the memorize/paste feature if you made a change to the citation details that it changed all copies of it. I'm going to have some sources to update now. :P

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3609 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Oh man, now I didn't know you could do that!! I thought if you used the memorize/paste feature if you made a change to the citation details that it changed all copies of it. I'm going to have some sources to update now. :P

Sometimes I'm glad memorize/paste works the way it works, and sometimes I wish that memorize/paste changed all the copies. I've certainly had the experience on a regular basis of finding and fixing a typo in a citation and then having to do the memorize/paste thing for lots of citations to fix the typo everywhere. And the really tricky part is just finding all the citations, which RM doesn't really provide you much help with.

I'm playing around with the idea of being much more of a splitter when it comes to sources, after years of having been an extreme lumper. As a splitter, more of my source data would be in the Master Source and less of my source data would be in the individual citations. So I could change (or more likely, correct a typo in) a Master Source and have the change be instantly reflected to lots of citations without all that memorize/paste stuff. And as Tom points out, the quality of source indicator would remain in each individual citation where it belongs, even for an extremele splitter.

Jerry