5 replies to this topic

#1 jude

jude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hi all

I've only been using RM6 a couple of days, so apologies if this sounds like a daft question, but is it not possible to display siblings in the Pedigree View?? I can only seem to get one child to show at once, no matter how many times I delete the family and start over again. I thought I must be doing something wrong but can't work out what it is.

cheers

jude :)

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Pedigree View [ancestor View] is direct line ancestors only. To my classes in genealogy it is the road map for searching.

As it is in any software for genealogy. Family View show siblings from the parents.....

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

There are at least a few ways it could be handled. You could also click on a person, then move over to the Family view, then back to Pedigree. Alternatively, you could set the sidebar to Family mode.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Alternatively, you could set the sidebar to Family mode.

This is an excellent suggestion. I operate with my sidebar set to Family mode about 95% of the time.

Jerry

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

There is also the Family and Spouse menus at the top left of the main screen. You can click on the Spouse arrow to see spouses and children and Parents to see parents and children.

Instead of changing the focus person or switching to another view, I sometimes open RootsMagic Explorer and check the facts for other people. If I click on Cancel when I finish, the focus person is not changed.

The focus person is the person shown with their birth, marriage, and death data at the top of the screen.

Sidebar, Family changes as the focus person changes, so I also find it helpful to Bookmark the focus person I am starting with at Sidebar, Bookmark so it is easy to go back to that person when switching between the various views and families and changing the focus person.

I also Bookmark other key members of that family if I am swiitching between many family members. This can sometimes be qucker than finding someone in History and History clears when you close and open RM.

We can go to tools, File options and change the start person [root or last focus person], the view for the main views and Sidebar [Side list] that RM opens with. My choice for the Sidebar is usually Family if am doing research. Right now, I am doing some checking using the Timeline and the main view is set to Timeline and the Sidebar is set to Group as I am checking one particular family I saved as a Group.

#6 jude

jude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

thanks for all the helpful replies! I'm still getting to grips with RM so I thought it was just me missing something obvious, rather than me trying to do the impossible..lol I hadn't tried setting the sidebar to 'family' before but that seems to be working best for me as a solution. I'd been using RM without the sidebar which probably explains why I was getting a bit confused!

thanks again for all your help
jude :)