• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dodie

dodie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Does anyone know why you need a media Gallery when you already need the pictures on your desktop?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Not sure I understand the question. More details?

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

If you do not want any pictures or documents to be accessible from within your RootsMagic database and program or included in its reports or website or shareable CD-ROM, then you do not need them in the RootsMagic Media Gallery. I suggest you browse the Help system on Media and view the webinars - #21 specifically addresses pictures and media but if you are new to RootsMagic, better start at #1.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Does anyone know why you need a media Gallery when you already need the pictures on your desktop?

I think I do understand the question. RM6 does not store images. It only stores links to images and those images must be managed first in Windows. So managing the media in RM6 can feel like double work, managing the same images twice.

RM6 includes two different constructs to manage links to media from within RM6 itself: a media Gallery (just one media Gallery for the whole system) and numerous media Albums. Any image for which there is a link in a media Album also has a link in the media Gallery. So any image you wish to use in RM6 must have a link in the media Gallery and also must have links in one or more media Albums. This organizational structure provides you with three options for managing your media.
  • Do not use any images within RM6. As Tom already mentioned, this is a viable option if you do not need to have images accessible from within RM6, nor need to include images in reports or websites etc. created by RM6.
  • Neither Family Origins (predecesor to RM) nor RM versions 1, 2, or 3 had a media Gallery. Instead, you created links to media in media Albums. There were media Albums for each person, for each family, for each fact, for each source citation, etc. I can't remember the complete list of objects within FO and RM1,2,3 which supported media albums, but it was fairly extensive. When you established a media link, you went through something that looked more or less like the standard Windows File->Open dialog to identify the image file to FO or RM1,2,3. Continuing with RM4, RM5, and RM6, you can still establish media links the old way if you wish. Links you establish will automatically be added to the global media Gallery which came into being with RM4, but you can otherwise ignore the media Gallery for the most part and work only only through the media Albums.
  • With RM4, RM5, and RM6 you can use the media Gallery if you wish. A link to a media file can be added to a media Album via media links that may already be present in the media Gallery, or you can still add a link to a media file to a media Album the old way.
The exact functioning of the media Gallery has evolved considerably from when the feature was first introduced in RM4 to the way it works in RM6 today. Like Tom, I would recommend viewing the Webinars that talk about managing media from within RM6. In particular, there is a relatively new feature called media tagging that allows a more centralized management of placing media links into the media Albums than was available when the media Gallery first came out in RM4.

I confess that I use method #2 above. I personally have failed to grasp the advantages of using the media Gallery as opposed to doing things the old way. I suspect that I'm in a very small minority in this regard, and that most users use method #3 and therefore do actively use and take advantage of the various media Gallery features.

Jerry