7 replies to this topic

#1 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

As I am citing my sources, I am adding pdf files of various documents in the Media section by going through the Citation Manager to the Edit Source window. I set the file to setting to Source and Detail but the file does not appear later when I try to access it directly through the Master Source List.

Am I misunderstanding the puropse of the Source and Detail setting?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

You cannot see individual citations or the source detail through the master source list.
You can get to the source detail or the individual citation from the individual's edit person window.
Alfred

#3 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I am not trying to view citations through the source list.

I am trying to attach media to the source while making the citations. It appears this is possible by selecting Source and Detail in the Edit Source window that comes up through the citation manager but it is not working.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

That Source and Detail, Source only, Detail only dropdown list is just a filter to control which media are shown. The Tag Media button to the right is what tags the media to either the Master Source or to the Citation (Source Detail) or both or also elsewhere (Person, Family, Fact, Place). Thus the filter lets you see just the media tagged to the Citation, or just the ones tagged to the Source, or both.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

It looks like the only way you can attach to the source itself is to do it through the List > Source List and edit the source.

Anything you attach while making or editing a citation is attached only to the citation, not the source itself.

(If you can see the green area, the media will be attached to the citation, if you can only see the yellow area then it is attached(tagged) to the source itself.)
Alfred

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

I am assuming, although have not tried it in RM6, but pdf files do not work. I have changed them to .jpg so they do show up in RM.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

I am assuming, although have not tried it in RM6, but pdf files do not work. I have changed them to .jpg so they do show up in RM.

In case someone misunderstands, PDF files can be tagged as media by linking them as Files, not Images, as can text, rtf, and other file formats. Doube clicking on the thumbnail will open up the file with the appropriate program for that file type, Acrobat reader, a word processor, etc.

The thumbnail shows an icon for that file type, not an actual thumbnail of the contents of the file.

There are some limitations with lnking media by using Files. Those files will not print as a photo in reports or in a Scrapbook, so some users turn PDF files into .jpg files.

#8 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion. I often consult published works that have become freely available online. The pdf is definely the way to go with these. I have been trying to link these sources to my citations so they are easy to consult while revisiting research. The tag media function is working as Tom indicated it would.