9 replies to this topic

#1 geoffaussie

geoffaussie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hello All,
I am hoping that someone might be able to tell me if I am doing something wrong or
is what I am finding is a problem with RM6. When I was adding media to a person and I
accidentally clicked on the wrong media item, it goes into the media for the person I am doing
which is normal, but when i try to remove that media, because it is not the one i wanted there,
it not only removes the tag for that person but it also removes the tags for all the people linked
to that item, which is a real pain if i dont know who it is linked to, i then have to track down who
I think has been tagged to the item.

Is there any way I can just delete the media item without it affecting all the tags and only delete
just the one incorrect one I had done.

Hoping someone can help me with this.

Regards
Geoff

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3537 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well, you want to delete the tag, not the media. In the Media Album for the Person or the Media Gallery, select the media item. In the right pane under the three tag buttons is the list of tags. Select the one you want to delete and click on the button "Delete tag". That just deletes the link between the media item and the person, fact, ... to which it is 'tagged'

The Help system is deficient in this area. Pressing F1 in either Album or Gallery for context sensitive help brings up pages that say nothing about the usage of the tag area of their windows. The only topic that does cover it is for the Media Properties window and is so titled.

Edited by TomH, 06 December 2012 - 08:19 PM.

Tom user of RM6314 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 geoffaussie

geoffaussie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for the reply TomH, Let me try to explain it again and hopefully we can get this right, I was trying to include a copy
of the 1891 census into the media file for a person and clicked on the 1881 census, so I clicked on remove media to remove the 1881
census from the page and it deleted ALL tags for everyone that was connected to the census record, all i wanted to do is remove the
census record from the one person that i put in wrong, not on everyone else.

Hope this explains things better....

Regards
Geoff

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3537 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

Geoff, your second explanation confirms my first understanding and my instructions remain the same. Delete Tag - NOT Remove Media. "Remove Media" removes the media item and all its tags from the database. The media file still exists but it is no longer known to the database and cannot be found in the Media Gallery. You can have media items in the Media Gallery that do nothing else in your database until they are "tagged" to a Citation, Source, Event, Place, Person, or Family. "Tag" is RM nomenclature; some would say "link". In any case, when you delete a tag for a media item, you are merely deleting the link to the, say, Person; that does not delete the Person.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I tried this and I was rather surprised to see that the REMOVE MEDIA button at the top of the individual's media album completely removes the media from the database.
I think it should be in the database's MEDIA GALLERY but not in any media album. There is a popup warning, but it's still too general a kill for the Media Album.
Alfred

#6 geoffaussie

geoffaussie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Thanks guys for your help, I think I found what Tom was trying to tell me, the problem I was having is in the main screen i could not see any Tags
linked to the media, I did however find the tags once i highlighted the media and went to properties of the media, then found the tag to the census
record for that particular person and removed it, the media disappeared from the persons media screen and so far it looks like it has stayed in the
other people's details. Once angain thanks, nice to have some people to bounce it off so i can try something else away from my line of thinking
to get it sorted.

Geoff

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3537 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

the problem I was having is in the main screen i could not see any Tags
linked to the media, I did however find the tags once i highlighted the media and went to properties of the media

Even though you had highlighted/selected the media item in the Media Gallery or in the Person Media, you saw no tags listed in the right-hand pane? That's very unexpected and inexplicable unless, perhaps, you had not done something to refresh the display after mistakenly tagging it to the wrong thing. Certainly, closing and opening the Gallery or Album will cause a refresh; other actions are variable.

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Is it possible that you are viewing the Media gallery list or thumbnails too wide to see the right sidebar with the tags and filename window panes?
If so, move the cursor to the right edge of the window until it changes to a double ended arrow then drag it to the left enough to see the other window panes.
Alfred

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3537 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Good point, Alfred. Do you know there is no image of the Media Gallery in Help? There is of the Media Album and Media Properties dialog windows. Worth comparing the Help images with your screen, Geoff - the layouts should be similar.

#10 geoffaussie

geoffaussie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Thxs again, i worked it out...the only way was to go into the properties in media gallery to remove the tag from the person.
I was trying to upload a picture of what i was lookign at, but there is no way to do it on the forum. Anyway it all works now
thanks for your help.

Geoff

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Photos, Media