5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

While adding a new fact in RM6 is straightforward, I am quite puzzled that I can not find how to insert the associated sentence data fields.

In RM3 there was a button activated "Data Fields" drop-down menu that once opened you could click on the field name and the appropriate field text (formatted with the proper syntax) would be inserted into the sentence template data entry field - very simple.

I have looked around RM6, where I expected to find a similar "Data Fields" drop-down menu, yet found nothing. I reviewed the RM 6 help file and could find no information about how one was expected to know about, or enter, the data field names. Although I can get to the "Edit Role" window, it is devoid of any aid to helping one insert/add sentence data fields.

I am left with the impression that somehow I am supposed to know (memorize) the available field names and how to properly delimit them. :mellow: I really hope that is not the case.

Hopefully someone can show me something I've missed...

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

Nothing missed - this another Wish List item. F1 key for context-sensitive help. Bill Bienia's cheat sheet available from the knowledge base.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Bill Bienia - that's a name I haven't heard in awhile! Did he leave us? Anyone know?
Jack

a posteriori

#4 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Nothing missed - this another Wish List item. F1 key for context-sensitive help.

How utterly disappointing, and I'm even more bothered by the fact that functionality existing in RM3, absent in RM6, is considered to be a Wish List item and not a bug.

In my mind wanting something new would be a candidate for a wish list. But restoring a button that was there and is now absent is a bug (or at least an inadvertently overlooked prior feature). I guess my mind works differently... ;)

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

There are 7 possible fields for a sentence with no field options to modify them in RM3 on the Data Fields menu.

There are more fields with many field options which can be combined with the field in various ways and switches in RM4-RM6.

Which of those would you put in a drop down list?

I doubt what I would want in that list and what some users would want in that lis twould be the same. My choices of what field options, I may use has changed the more I learn and play with composing sentence structures. My preferred list of today might change tomorrow.

If a drop down list is too long, it soon becomes quicker and easier to just type what you want rather than find it in a too long list.

#6 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

...Which of those would you put in a drop down list? I doubt what I would want in that list and what some users would want in that list would be the same.

Why not begin with keeping the same functionality that existed in RM 3 - the same 7 fields. At least that gives a user a hint of where (and how) to start and doesn't leave the casual user with less than they had before... Perhaps "power" users, who work frequently with sentence templates have no problem not having assistance, but I dare say there are others who relied on that feature.

While it is most likely true that others may want different fields, that need should be addressed as an enhancement / Wish List item - a user selectable data field list, or perhaps 4 blank user selectable positions to supplement the 7 basic fields.

Certainly one size does not fit all. However, to simply remove existing functionality with nothing to replace it is (at a minimum) not helpful, nor an upgrade...