• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Murphy

Bill Murphy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

I use three different computers at home and like to take my RootsMagic program with me to genealogy/family history libraries using my jump drive. Every time I change computers, or use my jump drive, all my photographed documents tied to 1. Birth; 2. Marriage; 3. Death; 4. Census & 5. Miscellaneous records has to be remapped and re-tagged.

My request is that these folders become part of the programs user defined dump sites for these documents/pictures, no matter which computer or jump drive is being used. The program automatically assigns a unique number to each individual/family anyway, why not tag these numbers to these documents as hidden files and let us still name them whatever we will. A system like that is already in use by web sites like tumblr.com to catalog thousands of photographs tied to individual users. That way all the program has to do is search a user defined folder in the RootsMagic program location tied to specific events.

With jump drives as large as they are, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to carry our genealogy with us, but without the proof to back up our claims, the data is useless. My wish is that this proof be integrated seamlessly into the program so when I say John Doe was born 1 July 1776 the document associated with that event will be able to be displayed no matter what computer or jump drive I use because that event is tagged to the digital document. The same should be true of John Doe's photograph as well.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2430 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Computer, Laptop and Jump drive are all in my workflow and what I do is mirror the folder structure between them all so all RM references remain the same except for the drive letter.

I adapt to working on the Jump Drive I simply go Search > Search & Replace > Multimedia Filenames and replace d:\ with e:\ or whatever. This has always worked for me and not really a significant inconvenience.

"It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look further than you can see" - Winston Churchill

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3960 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

There is also an outstanding wish for an option on the Backup function to include media files. It should be easy to add in - I've shown the way (or a way) at Backup Media with Database - 7Zip. The resulting rmgb file is compatible with RM's Restore function which will unpack the media files along with the database. You will still most likely have to use vyger's technique to globally revise the filepath values stored in the database to match the new locations.
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

You could keep your media on the jump drive and plug it in when you change from one to the other of your own computers.

On each of your own computers, plug in the jump drive and change the drive letter to the same drive letter. I use G: This has to be done on each computer. Search Windows Help for change drive letter for how to do this in your version of Wndows.

After that, when you plug the jump drive into any of the computers, the drive letter will be G: for that jump drive.

Change the path RM looks for media in all databases to the jump drive letter, in my case, G: Also, change Tools, Program options, Folders, Meda to the G: drive.

For any one changing back and forth between computers often, it might be best to make the database on the jump drive the main database and just use the hard drives on the computers as backup for databases and media.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-