9 replies to this topic

#1 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I noticed yesterday that in the process of adding a new event to a person's timeline, RM6 had forgotten the source citation I'd told it to remember earlier. This never happened in RM5. In fact, in previous versions, I could click the "remember" button and it would remember the citation until I clicked the button again or closed RM. I could even use my computer's copy/paste function without affecting the RM remembered citation.

This makes working with events much more tedious for me.

Feels like a bug but it could simply be a different method in RM. Regardless, I really don't like this and hope it gets addressed soon.

Greg

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I have not been able to reproduce this issue. You haven't removed or deleted the original citation that your pasting from later have you?
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Memorize and Paste of a source is working fine for me.

Did you highlight the source on the Citation Manager screen and then click on the Memorize button.

Go to where you want to copy the source and click the Paste button on the Citation Manager screen.

If you delete the source you Memorized before you Paste the source elsewhere, you clear the source to be copied from where RM stores the source to be pasted.

Memorize and Paste of a source does not utilize the Windows clipboard. It is a separate process which is why we can use the Memorize and Paste a source and copy and paste somthing completely different using the Windows clipboard at the same time.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Perhaps another gotcha might be having two databases open side-by-side and switching between them?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

When I memorize a source in one database and try to paste it into another open database, I get a popup "There is no memorized citation yet." message in the second database.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

When I memorize a source in one database and try to paste it into another open database, I get a popup "There is no memorized citation yet." message in the second database.

That's *similar* to "forgotten the source citation", LOL :)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

All that citation memorise and paste does (or I should say needs to do) is to remember the citation id (a record number in the citationtable) and when pasting, insert a copy of that record as a new record in the table but with a pointer to the Person, Family, Fact to which it being pasted. The register in which the memorised CitationID is stored is apparently not shared among different databases in the same instance of RootsMagic; each database has its own Memorised Citation register.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

The issue I'm having in RM6 I did not have in RM5 or RM4. Previous to RM6, I could memorize a source and paste it as many times as I wanted - it would stay on the clipboard until I either memorized another source or closed RM5. I could copy and paste as many other things in Windows as I liked and RM5 would still remember the last source I memorized. But NOT RM6. It forgets whenever I add a new event. That means I have to go back to the last event I created using that source, memorize it, then go to the new event and paste it. This is the first version of RM where I've had to do this. If this and a couple other issues don't get fixed, I will definitely go back to RM5. I'm concerned that RM6 came out before it was ready.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Greg, I just checked and cannot replicate what you are experiencing. I have pasted the citation into a new fact for the same person, a new fact for a different person, and a new fact for a new person. Works the same as RM5.

Edit: nobody else has replicated your problem. Perhaps you could log the steps you take - maybe they are different from what I am doing.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Well, now I can't duplicate it either. Ugh! Well, hush my mouth, then.