• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CanyonHiker17

CanyonHiker17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I cannot get the News Screen or the Welcome Screen to not appear on startup. If I go to the tools/program options and un-check the boxes for "Display News Screen" and "Display Welcome Screen", the next time I start the program, both those screens appear and the boxes are once again re-checked in the tools/program options menu.

#2 CanyonHiker17

CanyonHiker17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

OK, I downloaded 6.0.0.2 update and the problem was fixed!

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1557 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

I thought I would not keep that screen also from showing but it also tells you when there is an update to download and that is important to me.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7961 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

In RootsMagic 6 we now force the News Screen to appear, even if previously turned off, so we can inform you when an update is available. So many support tickets are unnecessary if users would simply update the program first. If they turned off the News Screen they would not know of an update. The little update notice in the lower right corner is easily overlooked. The News Screen is our best option to notify users of an update. Once you update go back and turn off the News Screen. It will only appear again when another new update is available.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Applause, applause, :) a win-win situation! Saves us the time we'd use in requesting support, gives you more time for your "real job", and saves us the time on wondering if we should click that "now ancient" check-for-updates button, :unsure: which I hope has done a disappearing act. :blink:
Just my :wacko: sense of humor!

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#6 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

Most helpful. Thank you all!

#7 pn422

pn422

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Another bit of RM arrogance we must accept. RM is the ONLY program on my computer that forces me to be notified of updates! Come on now, we are grown-ups and can manage certain things all by ourselves. This would not be an issues if not for the fact that RM is constantly updating, mostly for fixing problems that should never have existed in the first place!! (RM does not apparently do sufficient alpha and beta testing before issuing major releases. I usually wait for about 1 year before accepting (usually means purchasing) a major new release, simply to let the often 10-20 updates occur that make the program stable and usable.) The only reason I am still with RM all these years is that I have too much invested to learn a new genealogy program. (I started at FamilyOrigins 1.0 DOS.) So yes, here is a case where the good (for me) outweighs changing. But, that won't stop me from offering criticism where I feel it necessary. (Bruce, I hope you read this one.)

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7961 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

This is a VERY important issue for support. You might be able to manage updates, but MANY users are not. Forcing an update notification has resolved many issues being reported to support unnecessarily simple because a person did not update the program.

As for beta testing, we do our best, but its difficult to set up every possibly scenario that a database could contain that will cause an issue. There are just to many variables.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

I would be pretty sure Beta testing is done on all new program features and many problems are recognised and resolved before release but you can never catch them all. Many posts following release are discreat hard to recognise problems and many are user opinions on what they believe could be handled better, that's evolution.

I would like to think of myself as a constructive critic, as Renee has said there have been many cases of small bugs reported to support and on the forum where the problem had already been solved in a previous update and the user was a few versions behind so being made aware of the updates is something I like.

I know one very very large company who releases updates very frequently and is known for releasing buggy software and I think most of us have used it at some point so it is not unknown or unusual. The main thing is that, in most cases, the Rootsmagicians response to genuine problems is a little quicker and more personal.

Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. ...

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#10 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

Another bit of RM arrogance we must accept. RM is the ONLY program on my computer that forces me to be notified of updates! Come on now, we are grown-ups and can manage certain things all by ourselves. This would not be an issues if not for the fact that RM is constantly updating, mostly for fixing problems that should never have existed in the first place!! (RM does not apparently do sufficient alpha and beta testing before issuing major releases. I usually wait for about 1 year before accepting (usually means purchasing) a major new release, simply to let the often 10-20 updates occur that make the program stable and usable.) The only reason I am still with RM all these years is that I have too much invested to learn a new genealogy program. (I started at FamilyOrigins 1.0 DOS.) So yes, here is a case where the good (for me) outweighs changing. But, that won't stop me from offering criticism where I feel it necessary. (Bruce, I hope you read this one.)

Being critical in a helpful way is good. Charging someone with arrogance is not.
Jack

a posteriori