5 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Is there a way to narrow this report to show only missing media files?

If not, is there any easy way to find who's got a broken media link
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Save the list to a text file and import it into a spreadsheet.
Sort the spreadsheet on the filename and the "Filename [NOT FOUND] " items will sort at the top.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

When just a few of the media is mislinked, I go to Lists, Media Gallery and scroll down checking the thumbnails for those with a red X.

I add Get, to the beginning of the Caption on the Properties screen of each media with the red X.

Then I can search the Media Gallery search for Get, to show just the media I need to fix. As I fix the link, I remove Get, from the Caption.

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Laura and Alfred.

I have pretty close to 10K media files, making it difficult to casually scroll, looking for the red "X." And, Alfred, that's what I've been doing but, I thought perhaps there might be an easier method.

I wonder how difficult it would be for the RootsMagician to find a way to help us out with this? I can't be the only one that could use a shorter report for missing media files.
Jack

a posteriori

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Believe it or not I do hate repeating myself but it has to be said that RM is lacking in this area of helping users manage media libraries.

Filtering broken links to help users fix them and finding media items in specific HDD locations that are currently unlinked to RM have been mentioned many many times before.

Yes there are work a rounds, I wrote a utility myself to find unlinked media files and help me link them to my RM database. That came out of the need where in modern life I can collect new media much faster than I can ever hope to link it to RM so there is always a shortfall.

I really would wish that the Rootsmagician looks again at this feature and finally closes these functionality shortcomings, and before the release of RM7. ;)

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Vyger: Amen!
Jack

a posteriori