• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lesdelc

lesdelc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

From the fact type what should I use for Racial Origin? If I add a fact type and describe it as Racial Origin would I lose this fact type on the next major release of Rootsmagic? Example: On the next RootsMagic release of Version 7 would I lose any new fact types tht I have added?

Les Campbell

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I don't know about version 7, but I still have some of the user defined facts which I added back in Family Origins.
They have been carried forward through each new version.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would use the Nationality fact rather than create a user defined fact.

Enter Canadian, American, Korean, African, White, Black, Spanish, etc. in the description.

Like Alfred, I have many user defined facts I created in Family Origins.

It would be more than just foolish for RootsMagic to not continue to support user defined facts in future versions.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3386 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

User defined facts will always carry forward to each new release, however I would advocate keeping them to a minimum just to keep your database as clean and within standards as possible, as Laura has stated I would use Nationality in this case.

Many years ago I had a load of user defined facts in various databases, that is a practice I have come to regret. Now I have very few and will always study hard for an RM fact that suits the purpose.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

I have lots of user defined facts, but most of them are just for my use in database maintenance.

I have just a few that I might choose to export in a gedcom or print in a report when sharing with someone else.

The Miscellaneous fact can always be a choice when data doesn't quite fit into another program defined fact. :)

#6 lesdelc

lesdelc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks Laura for the suggestion. I will use Nationality and remove Racial Origin. Using the RootsMagic Fact Type is defintely a better idea. This fact Type is important to me in tracking the origins and a 1st or 2nd generation ancestors.

-Les-

I would use the Nationality fact rather than create a user defined fact.

Enter Canadian, American, Korean, African, White, Black, Spanish, etc. in the description.

Like Alfred, I have many user defined facts I created in Family Origins.

It would be more than just foolish for RootsMagic to not continue to support user defined facts in future versions.

#7 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Using Nationality by itself doesn't tell us which race the person belongs to.

Unless I'm missing something, white, black, yellow, red, etc. are colors, not nationalities.

How do you extend Nationality to cover all the possibilities, attached a fact note? Or, perhaps use something like Caucasian American or Asian Indian, Chinese American, something like that?
Jack

a posteriori

#8 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

If the motivation for recording this information is outputting statements in narrative reports, then a fact type is necessary, and it should not matter if it is a built-in RM fact type or a custom fact type. They're the same thing and can survive a Gedcom transfer. If the intent is more for identifying and/or filtering, then individual FLAGS would be a better option, but they only exist in other software.