30 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

These are RootsMagic memory management issues that are not database dependant. While the data and criteria affect the rate that RM consumes memory, there are two behaviours that need to be addressed:

1. Failure to return memory to Windows after each Find/Mark
2. High rate of consumption of memory, especially for large databases and where a criterion is a name field does not contain xxxx

I have not done exhaustive testing but it seems that data fields other than Surname, Given, Prefix, Suffix consume much less memory. Likewise for comparisons to name fields other than "does not contain".

Support should be able to verify this with any database and should have its own large database, as should the developers, to test for and resolve such performance issues.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Early reports of this memory management issue from 2009, see
http://forums.rootsm...ing/#entry29637
http://forums.rootsm...rts/#entry29393

Edited by TomH, 26 June 2013 - 11:50 AM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

These are RootsMagic memory management issues that are not database dependant. While the data and criteria affect the rate that RM consumes memory, there are two behaviours that need to be addressed:

1. Failure to return memory to Windows after each Find/Mark
2. High rate of consumption of memory, especially for large databases and where a criterion is a name field does not contain xxxx

I have not done exhaustive testing but it seems that data fields other than Surname, Given, Prefix, Suffix consume much less memory. Likewise for comparisons to name fields other than "does not contain".

Support should be able to verify this with any database and should have its own large database, as should the developers, to test for and resolve such performance issues.

Confirmed. Memory usage soared from 35MB to 1.3GB with just one pass of my 3 criteria search. After exiting search, that memory was not returned to the system.

So the program is a 'bad actor' in
1. continuing to ask for more memory until the system says no, then
2. breaks when it can't have more memory rather than gracefully handling the error.

Should be easy to fix, eh? ;)

#24 txhsmom

txhsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

I've having this error when I try to close the program. I'm running 6.3.0.6 on my laptop, accessing my database via wireless.

Any ideas? I'm having to force a program shutdown.

Carol

#25 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

What do you mean "via wireless"?

#26 txhsmom

txhsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Sorry - I mean through my wireless home network.

Carol

#27 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Is your database file on the computer that is running RootsMagic or on a drive shared over the wireless network?

#28 txhsmom

txhsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

On the drive shared over the wireless network.

#29 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Make sure that you have full privileges on that shared folder by creating a file on it with another program and editing it. If you do have full privileges, then I wonder if there might be a timing problem, I.e., the network operating system is slow to unlock the file from the previous write. I have no experience using RootsMagic or SQLite with a remote file to be of much help. The safest thing may be to keep the database file local and store the backups on he shared drive.

We have had reports here of people encountering problems if the working database file is in a cloud drive folder, e.g., DropBox, being actively synced to the cloud. RootsMagic and DropBox could clash over the file because RM changes it so frequently.

#30 cyberangel189

cyberangel189

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

I recently created a GEDCOM file in RootsMagic Ver. 6.3.0.6 containing 950 individuals to transfer info. from my pc to a friends via a Flash Drive. When attempting to import I got SQLite Error 6 which translates to...
SQLITE_LOCKED 6 /* A table in the database is locked */
I managed the transfer using a hastily copied 'back-up onto the same Flash Drive,' but wonder why this happened?

OS Windows 7
Roots Magic Data Base Tools show no problems.
No DLL errors showing on maintenance scan.

#31 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I don't know why that happened, but it appears to have worked the second time you tried to import the GEDCOM. That would make me suspect that their was some corruption in your GEDCOM file itself. Maybe you didn't remove the flash drive correctly, or waited until all the data was saved. You might also need to see where your storing your database file on the computer. Were you saving it to the cloud, like Dropbox? That can lock your file.
Renee
RootsMagic