• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ddplooy

ddplooy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

I installed RootsMagic 6 via Parallels Desktop on my MAC and when I do a "duplicate search" and then wants to "merge two people" I get the error: SQLite error 5 - database is locked. This did not happen in RM 5. Any idea how I can resolve this?

Regards
Herman du Plooy

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Do you have that file opened in some sql editor, at the same time?
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 ddplooy

ddplooy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:36 AM

No, I do not use any sql editor, only RootsMagic.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

What is the full path name where you are storing your data?
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 ddplooy

ddplooy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I just want to report back that the latest update 6.0.0.3 resolved the problem I had. The developers did something right.

#6 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

I just had this same error with 6.1.0.3

I was creating a report LIST with selected names based on 3 criteria. Half way through the search the 'gas gauge' froze. I left it 'searching' for about 10 minutes and there was no movement on gauge. Canceled out of report and when I attempted to exit the program the error popped up. every attempt to exit the program gave the same 'database is locked' error. Finally had to use Task Manager to close the program.

#7 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was able to replicate the error by running the report a second time after opening the program again.

Select search criteria was

1. Suffix contains xxxxxx
and
2 Suffix does not contain xxxxx
and
3 Note General contains xxxx

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Is your error message: SQLite error 5 - database is locked

Do you have that file opened in some sql editor, at the same time? Try rebooting your computer.

Have you run File>Database Tools - all options on consecutive order?
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Is your error message: SQLite error 5 - database is locked

Do you have that file opened in some sql editor, at the same time? Try rebooting your computer.

Have you run File>Database Tools - all options on consecutive order?

No SQL editor. File path same as it was before latest update, no errors until update. No I have not run those options.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

No I have not run those options.

You should. If the integrity check does not report OK, you must do Rebuild Indexes and re-run Integrity Check. The others are not critical.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

OK ... ran all the database tools and everything came up roses. No errors, all tools completed OK.

Did my report search as above ... completed OK first time, crashed on second iteration. Same as before.

I'll try this with a different database.

#12 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

OK ... ran this on a different database, 2nd pass crashed again but with ACCESS ERROR first, followed by the Error 5 SQLite error afterwards. Everything seems to work fine as long as I don't do the 'SELECT BY DATA FIELD' ops twice.

The 2nd database also passed the database integrity tests.

#13 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

OK -- Updated to 6.2.0.0 and still have the same issue.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

What report are you trying to generate? Does this lock occur if you repeat the Find or Mark directly from the main Menu > Search > Person List?
If it is repeatable, then document your step-by-step procedure so that others can duplicate and confirm if there is a bug. If it is unique to your database, then submit your database and your procedure to tech support.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

No need to generate report to see this freeze. Just doing a manual search with the same three criteria will freeze the program on the second pass. Just checked Ver 5 and it does the same thing. Here is the search ...

SUFFIX CONTAINS XXXXX
and
SUFFIX DOES NOT CONTAIN XXXXXX
and
NOTE GENERAL CONTAINS XXXXXX

If the database does not meet the search criteria for any record then there is no freeze.

#16 rickster

rickster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

The issue apparently is connected to the size of the database. I extracted a sub-set of my database containing a dozen or so of the matching records and the program did not freeze with the second search pass. The original database is ~100MB - the extracted database is ~10MB. Possibly an index out of range error? I am getting memory access errors with this issue.

Update:

opened Rev 6 and it said there was an update. Installed the update and it says it is rev 6.2.0.0 - same ver I updated to a couple days ago. ?????

Ran the same search as above and on the second pass I get a new error. OUT OF MEMORY. ;-) Then when trying to close the program I get an ACCESS VIOLATION error in ROOTSL at 008864C5 - program will not close gracefully. Vulcan nerve pinch required. (task manager kill)

Seems to me we might have an indexing error occurring with a large database.

#17 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

No need to generate report to see this freeze. Just doing a manual search with the same three criteria will freeze the program on the second pass. Just checked Ver 5 and it does the same thing. Here is the search ...

SUFFIX CONTAINS XXXXX
and
SUFFIX DOES NOT CONTAIN XXXXXX
and
NOTE GENERAL CONTAINS XXXXXX

If the database does not meet the search criteria for any record then there is no freeze.

Confirmed.

#18 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

While I don't get the SQLite Error 5 message, I can readily freeze the program on a large database. The fastest way is to use Mark Group. I tried your three criteria and believe that other criteria will produce similar results sooner or later. By concurrently running Windows Task Manager and watching the Performance graph, you can see memory consumption steadily rise, CPU utilisation suddenly fall, memory consumption plateau. At this point the RootsMagic progress bar stops. Look at the Processes tab and you see RootsMagic CPU utilisation at 0% after having been at or near 100% of a processor, memory consumption way up (1,832,000 K in my case) from when it started (15,032 K). My test database is about 200MB.

RootsMagic's own memory management and error handling failed to handle this exception gracefully. Freeing up memory by closing other programs did not unfreeze RM. Hitting Cancel repeatedly had no effect other than to tickle CPU utilisation - it was as though the program was being stepped by the clicks.

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

Did we not go through this memory management issue once before? Now I see that memory consumption grows dramatically with the "Suffix does not contain xxxx" by itself and that the program does not release memory back to Windows even after cancelling the creation of a group. That's probably why rickster's lockup required two passes to get to some memory limit. Honestly, I am tired of going back to check previous versions for possibly regressive behaviour.

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8471 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

If you would like to send us a backup of your database we could use it for test purposes on this issue. Just let support know you need a link to send the large file through. Then give the steps to recreate the issue.

https://www3.gotomee...ister/769710494
Renee
RootsMagic