• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DouginMaine

DouginMaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

After years of having a Windows desktop and a Windows notebook computer, I have now purchased an Apple MacBook Pro for my notebook. My Roots Magic database resides on "the cloud" where I can access it from more than one computer. However, I really do not want to try to implement Windows based programs on my MacBook; so I am looking forward to the day when Roots Magic is implemented for Apple computers.

Any chance of this happening or can I only reach my goal by going to Family Tree Maker?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

No time frame on when the Mac version will be ready. It is a high priority.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 cwinfla

cwinfla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Wondering what the latest is on a Mac version of RootsMagic. Currently using Crossover on my MacBook Pro but some features of RootsMagic don't always work. Thanks.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Nothing new to report in this area. We have the development tools we need to build the Mac version. But, we have been focusing on wrapping up the FamilySearch Family Tree stuff before we move full time into the Mac.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 jerryc

jerryc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I recently lost patience waiting for a Mac version of RM and broke down and bought a competitor's product on a half-price sale. (I know...throw fruit and rotten cabbage...I deserve it.) :wacko:

The app has lots of stuff--lots of views and gyrations and some of them are even useful. But, what it doesn't have is speed. It is dogggg slowwww. It kills me. I fought with it twice for an hour and aargh! I can't stand it.

Please, please, please make the Mac version as high of a priority as you can.

Thanks!

#6 WatsonA

WatsonA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have been a user of Legacy (using VMWare on my Mac) for several years. About a year ago, or whenever RM came out with the iPad version, I decided to try RM, using Crossover on my Mac. I've found that it works fairly well, but it gets confusing when I update RM...and frankly, I liked Legacy's interface better. I'm gradually getting used to RM, however, and like several of its features. Legacy is now previewing things coming in their next version, and I find I'm being tempted to switch back!

The one thing that would cement my relationship with RM is a native Mac version, especially if there were some kind of simple syncing with the iPad version (Dropbox?). Please, please, jack up the priority of the Mac version!

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2375 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Legacy is now previewing things coming in their next version, and I find I'm being tempted to switch back!

I am the first to push for development so I jumped over again to read about these exciting new things and do believe you need to dig a little deeper into Rootsmagic or buy the full version if you are using Essentials.

Things like Shared Events, Place Details, Problem Alerts, Migration Mapping, Family Search Family Tree, Colour coding etc. which are being blogged for the competitions new version release later this year are all within Rootsmagic NOW and some of them have been there for many years.

However never missing a chance to crack the whip I would say it is simply time to "leap ahead" again with the next version of Rootsmagic. ;)

Software Comparisons - Place Management - How other software packages stack up.
Media Gallery (a critical look) - Written when RM4 was introduced but still applies today.

Relaxation is the key to life and this is where I get some time to relax and catch up on my hobby and research s the key to life and this is where I get some time to catch up on me genealogy work and research

#8 WatsonA

WatsonA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I am the first to push for development so I jumped over again to read about these exciting new things and do believe you need to dig a little deeper into Rootsmagic or buy the full version if you are using Essentials.

Things like Shared Events, Place Details, Problem Alerts, Migration Mapping, Family Search Family Tree, Colour coding etc. which are being blogged for the competitions new version release later this year are all within Rootsmagic NOW and some of them have been there for many years.

However never missing a chance to crack the whip I would say it is simply time to "leap ahead" again with the next version of Rootsmagic. ;)

I'm aware that many of those features are in Roots Magic already; in fact, my wife has been using RM for a few years, and was quick to tell me. I'm still more comfortable in Legacy just because it is familiar, but the features in RM that Legacy lacked made it seem as if the effort to learn new software was worth the effort. But if Legacy is "catching up", offering the same features, maybe I should just stick with Legacy. The thing that would tip the scale permanently, for me, would be a native Mac version...of either RM or L.

#9 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Another person I know personally bought a Touchscreen PC with Win8 because they were tired of fighting with RM6 on a Mac. Oh the humanity!

Now that FSFT is up and running well, please give a pending release date for RM6 for Mac OS X. You have it for the iPhone and iPad (iOS).

I continue ot use RM6 under WineSkin and Mavericks, because it plays better (locks up less) than under Win7 on my Mac using VirtualBox.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Maybe in another 6 months we will have a better idea on how much longer the Mac version will take. Right now we just can't give an estimate.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

Another person I know personally bought a Touchscreen PC with Win8 because they were tired of fighting with RM6 on a Mac. Oh the humanity!

Now that FSFT is up and running well, please give a pending release date for RM6 for Mac OS X. You have it for the iPhone and iPad (iOS).

I continue ot use RM6 under WineSkin and Mavericks, because it plays better (locks up less) than under Win7 on my Mac using VirtualBox.

But the iPhone version is just a "read only" subset of RM - whereas I guess that you, and others, would want the full product on a Mac? Perhaps Renee would tell us whether the high priority Mac version is a Full product or not? MVS.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

The Mac version that is under development is the full version program of RootsMagic. It's a complete rewrite of the RootsMagic software using programming tools that will write the Windows and Mac version at the same time. So they will be identical.

Apps use a totally different programming language, just because we have an iOS app doesn't mean it has anything to do with running on a Mac computer. Programs and apps are not interchangeable.
Renee
RootsMagic

#13 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

The Mac version that is under development is the full version program of RootsMagic. It's a complete rewrite of the RootsMagic software using programming tools that will write the Windows and Mac version at the same time. So they will be identical.

Wow, that's big news - not so much the Mac version, because that's already been talked about so much, but the fact that the Windows version is undergoing a complete rewrite.

Jerry

#14 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

Apps use a totally different programming language, just because we have an iOS app doesn't mean it has anything to do with running on a Mac computer. Programs and apps are not interchangeable.

Well in that case it would also be interesting to know whether RM Version 7 is going to be the combined Mac/Windows product or whether there is still an independent development path on the RM product? MVS.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4166 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

We want the Mac and Windows version to be exactly the same so there is no separate development path for them.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apple, Mac, portability