15 replies to this topic

#1 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Is anyone having problems with Family Search Central locking up when trying to exit? Mine locks up often when I add children from NFS to RM6 then try to exit.

When adding 6 or so names I exit then Save what I have or I will lock up.

I have to kill RM6 in Task manager. When I restart RM6 I lose Folder settings.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a Toshiba laptop.

Paul

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

NFS has been funny with and without interfacing to RM6 lately. From what I understand things are unstable while they work on switching from NFS to FamilyTree.

#3 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks

#4 rodredford

rodredford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I have seen this also. I usually wait awhile and it catches up.

#5 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

After using Family Central for awhile, maybe moving several names to RM I save my file then close out Roots Magic. When I open RM again things look ok for a minute then locks up again.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Are you using RootsMagic 6.0.0.4 (Help>About RootsMagic)?
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 cajflem

cajflem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

I am trying to find names for our next youth temple trip, meaning I am looking for anyone in my file who is ready for baptism. I would like to limit to checking my ancestors (direct line [wish list: ancestors plus whildren for one gen]), and also limit to male (can manage without this). However, Fam Srch Central doesn't seem to allow me to search by ordinance needed. Am I missing something or is this a future enhancement?

Thanks,

cf
Charles Fleming
Little Elm TX

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Here is how I would handle that.

Create a new group
In the Sideb bar click on the Group Icon.
Then under Groups click on the Group icon near the name of the group.
Then click New.

Select starting person and click on Mark Group
Select Ancestors of highlighted person
Select Ancestors and children of ancestors
Set how many generations
Click OK

Click on Unmark Group
Clear people by data fields
Set to Sex - is female > click OK
Click on Unmark Group
Clear people by data fields
Set to LDS Baptism>Exists>is True>click OK

Click OK again
Name the Group
Close

Open File>Family Search Central
Click on the Ready link
On the left panel under My Rootsmagic People click on Filter:
Select Group of People - select the name of the group that you just made
Click OK
You will now see all the male ancestors and their male children that do not have an LDS baptism fact ready for baptism.

You may want to change the second filter to "No Extra Filtering" so it will look at everyone in the group that does not have an LDS baptism fact. With some additional information you may be able to prepare them for ordinances.
Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Family Tree

Family Tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Renee,

Your post on creating a certain group of people that need baptism was very helpful. Is there a way to filter out people for whom an ordinance such as baptism is "Not needed"? If not, would you consider adding that ability in a future release?

Rich

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

What you could do is go to each person that doesn't need the baptisms as you find them, usually that means they are children that died before the age of eight. Add a LDS Baptism fact to them and set the status to CHILD. Now that they have the fact they will filter out of the group above.
Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Family Tree

Family Tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks! That works perfectly.

Rich

#12 cajflem

cajflem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

Thanks, Renee - that's exactly what I needed.
Charles Fleming
Little Elm TX

#13 Family Tree

Family Tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Renee,

Your post on creating a certain group of people that need baptism was very helpful. Is there a way to filter out people for whom an ordinance such as baptism is "Not needed"? If not, would you consider adding that ability in a future release?

Rich

What you could do is go to each person that doesn't need the baptisms as you find them, usually that means they are children that died before the age of eight. Add a LDS Baptism fact to them and set the status to CHILD. Now that they have the fact they will filter out of the group above.

Renee, Is there a way to search for people based on an ordinance status in RootsMagic 6? I tried to search for those with a LDS Baptism status of "Child", but could not figure out how to do that.

Also, I would like to suggest the ability be added to FamilySearch Central to refine the list of those that are ready for temple ordinances to a specific ordinance, such as baptism, initiatory or sealings.

Is the FamilySearch Central "What's New" feature working properly? It seems to update rarely, if at all.

Rich

#14 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Renee, Is there a way to search for people based on an ordinance status in RootsMagic 6? I tried to search for those with a LDS Baptism status of "Child", but could not figure out how to do that.

There isn't a direct way to search by ordinance status. I will add that as an enhancement request in our tracking system.

What would get you close to the information is to use Search>Person List>Find and select - Death - Age - Less than - 8
This will give you all the children that should have the Child status in their LDS ordinances.

Also, I would like to suggest the ability be added to FamilySearch Central to refine the list of those that are ready for temple ordinances to a specific ordinance, such as baptism, initiatory or sealings.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.

Is the FamilySearch Central "What's New" feature working properly? It seems to update rarely, if at all.

It's a problem in the FT API causing it to not update. FamilySearch is working on fixing that. They haven't confirmed that the issue is resolved yet, at least to us.
Renee
RootsMagic

#15 Family Tree

Family Tree

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Renee,

Thanks again. Your responses were very helpful.

Is there a timeframe for a fix to the FT API for "What's New" to work again? In a day, a week, a month, a year?

Rich

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

FamilySearch has not given us a time frame.
Renee
RootsMagic