• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kittyhawk

kittyhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Wondering how v.6 performs when installed using Crossover.

Right now I have v.5 on my PC desktop with no internet connection. I've been trying to hold out for the Mac version before installing on my MacBook Pro, but I'd also like to use the online features of RM.

If you've had actual experience using RM with Crossover, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

#2 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

I tried Crossover using RM5 but was not satisfied. I have used VMFusion, Crossover, Parallels, and Virtual Box.

I stuck with Parallels because it had no problems that I have found. Each of the others had problems which caused me to dislike using them. These problems could have been my own making but still I had no problems with Parallels. I am using version 7 of parallels, windows 7, and crome browser. I plan to go to version 8 of parallels when I find a good deal.

One thing that makes a big difference in the speed is how you layout the disk. I put the main database for RM5/6 on the windows virtual c drive. When I exit RM I always save a copy to the Mac side. This is then picked up with time machine for auto backup and also sugar sync for backup.

I don't backup the windows virtual machine because I can reload if necessary. I also run a virus scan on the windows side although I only visit genealogy sites and run RM on the windows side.

Roger

#3 kittyhawk

kittyhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the tips, Roger! Yeah, I'm considering Parallels as a last resort since I do not want Windows on my Mac. :(

What was it about the Crossover installation that left you dissatisfied?

#4 curtner.1

curtner.1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

I could not get RM6 to run properly when I fiirst tried. I do have it working properly now. I installed RM5. I just used the supported application installation. I made sure that was working perfectly and then I installed RM6 into that bottle. RM6 warned that an older version of RootsMagic was installed and offered to delete that version before installing RM6. I told it to uninstall the old version and install RM6. It works perfectly. I think CrossOver will be much easier to maintain than a virtual machine.I don't have to keep another operating system patched, and another antivirus setup current. Don't need to buy a copy of Windows. I have Parallels installed and several versions of Windows installed but I'm getting tired of all the work to keep it all up to date.

#5 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I've been using Crossover for a while (the version as coordinated between RM and CodeWeaver). I still use the WineSkin version as well. I have not migrated to RM6 yet. I use a MacBookPro 17" with Mac OS X 10.7.5. Every once in a while, I have to start the app over due to memory corruption after running it for hours on end. I think the RM5 app has memory leak issues. It runs fine for a while after shutting it down and restarting it. I mostly use it for the FamilySearch Center and Temple Ordinance efforts. I like that I can actually use the reserve ordinance function currently running between RM5 and new.FamilySearch. Love it!

WineSkin works better though....less lockups.

#6 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I have RM6 installed in Crossover under Linux, I'm assuming it runs similar to Crossover in Mac. I haven't noticed any problems, other then it doesn't look quite as nice as the Windows install. So far I have been using RM mostly in VirtualBox since I already owned a copy of Win XP. I export a gedcom from RM and import it into FTM 2012 to merge and sync with Ancestry. FTM does not work under Crossover as far as I know.

#7 ostlund.1@nd.edu

ostlund.1@nd.edu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

I use Crossover version 13.1.2 most of RM6 works except when trying to exit the Media Gallery after inserting an photo. I cannot use ok or cancel to return to RM6. I have to use a force quit to exit RM.

#8 ostlund.1@nd.edu

ostlund.1@nd.edu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

I reinstalled RM6, the problem disappeared.

#9 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the tips, Roger! Yeah, I'm considering Parallels as a last resort since I do not want Windows on my Mac. :(

What was it about the Crossover installation that left you dissatisfied?

Just to give an alternative opinion. I switched from Parallels to Crossover last autumn (fall for our North American readers) and have found it perfectly satisfactory with RM6.

Why did I switch? Well, RM was the only Windows program I still used and I was fed up with the the Windows Update and anti-virus updates and activity that seemed to occur nearly every time I used RM. And cranking Parallels back into life seemed to take time as well and I was getting tired of a problem (probably Parallels) where the window in focus was hidden - they seemed to have failed to fix it for ages.

I just tried Crossover, it ran very well once I had managed to understand how to point it at my RM files, and I am very happy with it. There have been a couple of Crossover releases since then and they have updated seamlessly.

I think one major change since Roger's experience reported above is that Croosover now uses the native OSX screen I/O rather than using X11 support (which is a bit Unix-y for many I would have thought), so he might find things rather better now.

One thing - do be aware that you cannot use RM-to-Go with Crossover (there is no "boot from USB stick" support) but everything else works fine.