• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Suziwbfl

Suziwbfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I had not been in roots magic for awhile. Previously when I opened it my file was easy to find. Now it is gone. There is nothing under 'open recent' I search and it finds nothing. In my documents file there is a file with the name I used for my roots magic file - I only have one. It says it is an rmgb file. Roots Magic will not open it. I don't have a back up because this has never happened to me with any of the programs I use. I haven't had any problems with my computer, so I don't know what happened. Can anybody help?

I will in the future use a back up for this program if I can get the file loaded. if I can't I don't know that I will start over with this program.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

the RMGB is a backup file, you have to RESTORE it rather than open it.

BUT, it may want to over-wright the original wherever it is, you get a chance to say no.

To find RMGC files > Open > Search for a file.
RootsMagic will search your computer for you, looking everywhere for that lost file.

---- Edited ----
It doesn't look everywhere, it doesn't look in the recycle bin.
You will have to look there using Windows Explorer, then restore it yourself.
Alfred

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

RootsMagic Version 5 [and probably earlier versions] does not move deleted RM files to the recycle bin.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

RootsMagic Version 5 [and probably earlier versions] does not move deleted RM files to the recycle bin.

No, but it is possible that the user might have deleted it while using Windows Explorer or something which would have landed the file there.
Alfred

#5 Suziwbfl

Suziwbfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I had already tried to have root magic search and it did not find it. I had not looked in the recycle bin but have now and it is not there. I was able to restore from the file but it's only the initial info I put in. I will be backing from now on.