5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

While I've used RM's programs since the days of Family Origins, I have not considered upgrading my RM 3.2.6 until now.

One of the features I was hoping might be in RM6 is a way to "copy & paste" a fact from one person to others. For example, if I set the Residence fact for 1 person (with the associated sources and MM), can I assign that fact to others without having to re-enter the fact data and sources?

Another example would be with mtDNA test results. As a male, I would share the same test results along my direct maternal ancestry line. Creating that DNA fact once and being able to replicate it along that maternal line would be very useful and save a lot of data entry time.

Interestingly enough, Ancestry has a way of identifying Y-DNA & mtDNA results along ancestral lines on their user's family trees. This may something the RM might want to consider adding to RM6+...

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#2 R Steven

R Steven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

If you haven't looked into Shared Facts yet, that may do what you want. They have a few limitations in how they print in reports, but I've usually been able to work around them. I haven't tried them with mtDNA facts, but I have with Residence and Census facts. On mtDNA results, it would be nice to be able to automatically add them to the entire maternal line, and I don't know a way to do that.

To share a fact, select the fact and click on the Share button. You can then select any number of people who share the same fact. Be sure to assign them an appropriate role for the fact and to incolude template text for that role if you want the text to print in narrative reports. One of the current limitations of shared facts is that they don't appear in the Individual Summary of Family Group Sheet reports, although they will show up in Narrative Reports if you have template text defined for the chosen relationship. The report problem is well known and will hopefully be fixed in a future release.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Fact copy/paste is on the Wish List. Your voice and raising the matter again can't hurt its prospects. If you are looking for a workaround, see Copy Fact to Group. Alfred described a good trick a while back. In another database, create a dummy person, add the fact to be copied, then drag and drop this person onto each person who needs the fact in the Pedigree view of your main database, merging each time.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

A further problem with Shared facts is how Media items are treated. They will only be "Tagged" against the original fact. So if you share the fact amongst three people the system still thinks that only one person is actually linked to the media.

This has been reported and discussed in these forums for a long time and I am not sure whether it is acknolwedged to be a bug, a missing enhancement or something that is never going to be addressed.

The ability to totally copy and paste any type of event from one individual to another would be a major boon - but this request has been outstanding for many, many years and across many releases of the product.

MVS.

#5 Michael Jones

Michael Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:03 PM

Fact copy/paste is on the Wish List.

Fact copy/paste has been on the Wish List for probably 5 years. I know I have requested it several times and I'm sure it was requested by many, many users before I started using RootsMagic (2006). I still use RM3, but will gladly updade to any version of RM that actually incorporates this feature. Until then, I'll stick with a version that works and is largely bug-free.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

The update frequency is starting to lengthen again and the last one was mainly LDS. As already stated there are many items that have not only been frequent wishes over the years but also a number consolidation items that are needed to bring program functionality together and more efficient. IMO

I remember a pattern like this developing last year around the same time and as we know now there never was that wished for next v5 update. Therefore I am not sure if we will see a version 6.2 so we may well be looking at version 7 for some of these wishes. If the company plan has returned to yearly version releases, which I have no problem with, then it would be fair to assume that H2 would be almost reserved for that development.

I would almost hope that the company has returned to the yearly version updates as at least there is a drive towards significant new feature releases rather than fixes to existing features. That being said those small ongoing niggles really need not to be forgotten about as they do bring negativity to the program through these boards.

6.1.0.3 - 5 April 2013
6.0.0.4 - 8 January 2013
6.0.0.3 - 6 December 2012
6.0.0.2 - 21 November 2012
6.0.0.0 - 19 November 2012

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root