• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kmac

kmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I am having problems saving Narrative reports as RTFs. I am using a Mac with Parallels 8 and Windows 7 with RM 6. The Mac and PC share all the same folder/directory structure. That being said, this is what happens:

I can view a report in the Report Viewer just fine. I can save it as every other format that is offered except RTF. When I choose the rtf option and to view this file after it is saved, the report opens in Word Pad, but is totally blank. If I choose NOT to view it then, but still save it as a rtf, when I try to open it on my Mac side, only the first line, First Generation, is seen correctly. The rest, sometimes only 3 or 4 lines even though the file size may be 1 MB for a large report, is total gibberish.

Previously, when I used Parallels 8 under Windows XP and RM 5, the reports save correctly as rtf and can be viewed on either my Mac or PC side.

Not being a Windows user, I'm at a loss as to how to fix this. I'm running a minimal Windows 7 system..... basically just RM and Family Atlas and don't have a full word processor to handle RTFs. Is that the problem or is it something else? I'm thinking I shouldn't need a word processor, intending to open these files on my Mac side. Am I wrong? Any help to figure this out would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathy

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

The RTF generated by RM is very particular about what software renders it properly. We know that WordPad supports simple RTF and is not capable. The only one I have confidence in is Microsoft Word. I'm using Word 2010 but I think 2007 and possibly earlier are compatible. I think someone posted a success with some tool that can read a PDF and save as RTF but I don't recall the exact message.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kmac

kmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Thanks, Tom. That confirms what I was beginning to suspect. I tried using Open Office but it only worked sporadically. Now I know why. I will go ahead and purchase Word 2010.

#4 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

I've just generated an RTF file for a Narrative Report and it opens fine within both TextEdit and Pages, but fails to show anything other than a header line (or maybe title line) using OpenOffice.

This is using RM 6.0.0.2 on XP running within Parallels 8 and OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). Pages is at the highest current level and OpenOffice is at 3.4.1.

Have you tried TextEdit? (For those not familar with Mac, Pages costs money - though not that much.)

#5 kmac

kmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

JP

My setup is exactly the same as yours except I'm using Windows 7 Professional. You'd think our experiences would be the same also, but maybe not. I tried TextEdit, Pages, and PathFinder 2 to open the RTFs on my Mac side. Only the line of First Generation would show up, no title, and some gibberish text. Nothing readable at all.

I also have Legacy 7.5 on my Windows side and it generates RTFs that I can view on either Mac or PC just fine. But, I don't want to use Legacy. It seems that RM is very particular in how it generates an RTF. Good thing I'm wiling to purchase Word for Windows to make RM usable for me! :)

It's strange, isn't it, that different users can have varying results with the same setup? But, sigh, that's how it is with computers.

Kathy

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Can you update Tables of Contents, Indexes and Footnotes using the non-MS Word editors, after making changes to the document? That's hugely important; without that capability, what's the point of looking at RTF? Might as well export as PDF and forget about tweaking.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 kmac

kmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Can you update Tables of Contents, Indexes and Footnotes using the non-MS Word editors, after making changes to the document? That's hugely important; without that capability, what's the point of looking at RTF? Might as well export as PDF and forget about tweaking.

Tom ..... Not sure who you are addressing this to, but my experience so far has been that Word works to edit an rtf document. I was not able to do that with Word Pad, OpenOffice, or with several word processors on my Mac side. It must be some weirdness (aka not rendering correctly) with RootsMagic. But for myself, as long as I can edit an rtf in Word, I'm a happy camper.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Sorry, the question was addressed to JP.

#9 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

Tom, Not really sure about this at all. Just looked at the output in Word (Works 2002) and Pages, and did notice that Pages has lost the page headers and footers. It also treats all the "text" as just text, rather than using header1, header2, etc for "titles". Therefore one can insert a TOC but it has nothing in it. Did the same in Word and the TOC was empty again as the data was treated as various varieties of "Narrative text".

I don't use RTF and was just trying to help KMAC by seeing if another Mac user could handle an RFT file. Of course, my sample file doesn't necessarily contain the same elements and fonts as his, so it is hardly a very valid test.

Perhaps best to leave this item (unless someone comes up with a valid explanation).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rtf, reports, parrallels, mac