No replies to this topic

#1 KimMC

KimMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I've been trying to come up with a way to use the new publish online site generator AND still have my site searched by google. I came up with a way to do this, but I don't think it will work if you use RM hosting because I don't see a way to upload files other then exactly what RM 6 has generated. But if you host on your own server or FreeWebs this should work. This isn't to hard if you've used html/css a bit.

First I made an includes file that had some code for menu bar linking back to the main site homepage. You will also need to tweak the css for the menu.
Then I generated the site using Publish Online. I also created an HTML version, that thankfully is still available. :) When I created the HTML version I selected NO menu. I also used the advanced HTML option to add the code to call the menu includes text file.
I then made a sub folder in my FreeWebs account called "narrative". I uploaded the HTML version to this.
Then I used Blue Griffin html editor to edit the publish online index.html page and added a link in the sidebar menu called Narrative, linking to the surname page in the narratives folder. I edited the groupsheet.html, names.html, individual.html and pedigree.html files to add the same link.
Upload the publish online files to your home folder and they should link to each other ok now.

So now my home page and the narrative files should be picked up by search engines and you can easily get to the main homepage from the narrative side. For the moment this gets me the best of both and I'm happy. :D

http://freepages.roo...ills/index.html