• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 katinka111

katinka111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

When I built my database, I do not use AKA for women who are married... I only enter the maiden name for the person. I then record who they married. I would like to provide a report (in all reports) that show two entries in the index, one for maiden name, and one for married name. I know that using AKA would solve my problem. But I have over a thousand people in my database, and I don't want to have to create all those AKA details. Is there some way to report in the report INDEX, one person under two (or more) names (which would have two entries in the index)?

When I hand out reports to family members, and publish my website to my.rootsmagic.com, it only has maiden names. My family members don't always know a person's maiden name, and they complain they cannot find someone since I have only maiden names!

I have searched the forums, and could not find anyone with my specific issue... so I am sorry if this is duplicated...

Help!

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

If you have a woman who was married more than once, which married surname would be used or would all be printed.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

LessTX asked for a utility like this almost a year ago. http://sqlitetoolsfo...h List/49318018

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

I had set aside LessTX's request hoping that it might be addressed in some team effort but that didn't happen. I do much the same as you, few entries for married names as alternate names. I could see how this might be helpful in working with the database, given a source, such as a newspaper clipping, with the married name. So I put some effort into designing a SQLite query that works well at adding Married Alternate Names for those "Wives" with a Marriage fact. There are complicating issues:
  • what if the person kept their birth name, as is the law in Quebec?
  • what if the person hyphenated their own and their spouse's surnames?
  • ensuring the Married Alt Name fact sorts after the Marriage date
  • suppressing Mrs. for same sex spouses
  • should Mrs. be used at all?
  • should husband's given names be used instead of wife's?
  • should there be a sentence in the narrative report?
After much time developing the procedure, I discovered that Alternate Names do not show up in the Name Index of a narrative report! So how did you use AKA to solve your problem? Have I misunderstood completely?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 katinka111

katinka111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

OK. I specifically tried this. Facts for "Alternate Name" (regardless of Alternate name type of AKA or Married Name) DOES show up in the index for ONLINE PUBLISHING. But it does NOT for narrative reports!

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6111 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

If it is considered desirable to have married names and possibly all alternate names in the Name Index of printed reports, then that would require an enhancement of RootsMagic reports. Probably the inclusion of a checkbox option in settings. The newly developed Publish Online tool generates its index independently.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8238 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic