6 replies to this topic

#1 craigg

craigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I would like to be able use as part of a note, any sentence template field that is available to be used in the sentence for the fact to which this note belongs.
This would allow for the use of the casual variation of the name of the person allowing for changing only the nickname field for the person to incorporate the nickname into all notes for the person. It would also allow RM to use the names in notes as part of its cycling between name and he/she to make the sentences within the notes to be less boring.
This would also allow for a change to place and place details in the fact to be carried through to any references in the note.
It would also make references to persons who share the fact without needing to change the notes, if additional people become sharees.

#2 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hmm. . . Since you mentioned cycling, I just wonder if the cycling could be randomized.

Name twice; he/she 3 times; name once; he/she once; name 3 times

As you can see, I'm not the best randomizer!
:wacko:

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Sentence templates are only good for sentences in Narrative reports. They do not apply in a Family Group Sheet and other reports.

"[person:nickname] was a very skilled carpenter." would not look very good in the notes in a FGS, Individual Summary, Custom report, etc. even if we could use [person:nickname] in the note of a Narrative report.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Is there a fundamental reason why notes in a FGS should behave any differently from notes in a narrative? If template variables can be made to work in one, then should they not work in the other? Cycling of names and he/she would result in differences because of the absence of fact sentences in the FGS but should work in a sequence of just fact notes. Maybe there is something I am missing but I think the idea has merit. Of course GEDCOM won't support these variables except in a proprietary format so that's a complication.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I don't care for the idea.

I would rather leave the notes as freehand notes.
Why complicate things?
Alfred

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

It is a lot easier to type He or She rather than [Person: heshe: caps]. It is also faster to just type He or She compared to copying and pasting [Person: HeShe:caps].

I can already hear the derision heaped on my head if one of my cousins imported a gedcom into their program and [Person: HeShe: caps] was in the notes. LOL

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Of course, the RootsMagician would not implement support for template variables in notes without also including their expansion into values in the export, just as he did for sources. Would he?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.