• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jane B

Jane B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Can anyone advise me how to update all the fields in my file?
I use record identifier number widely to identify my tree members particularly since so many have the same names. I've also ordered all my source documentation to match this so that having the record number is vital to my filing system.
I would like to copy all my record identifier numbers to the reference number so that when I export a GEDCOM I can ensure that the reference is there. I know I can stipulate the output the RIN on the GEDCOM but for people importing my files to other programs the reference number seems to be a more universal identifier.
So, for ease I'd like to put the RIN in all the REFN fields but with a large file this isn't something I want to do manually, is there a copy facility or something I could use?

Grateful for your help
Jane

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Can't do what you want from within RM. I had the same want and developed a procedure and SQLite query to do it: Copy RIN to REFN

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: record number