• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kmac

kmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

I am a new user to RM and I find the practice of customizing sentence templates to be needlessly confusing with all the choices/options there are available. They make it a very powerful feature, but also tedious to do. I'd like to see some sort of a popup menu with all the choices/options in it ..... something similar to what Legacy does. That would make this feature much more useful.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Sounds like a good idea.
For now, you can hit "F1" to bring up the help menu, search for "Sentence templates" and see what you can do.
Then do it, If you have another question, click on the RM help tab in the taskbar to bring it back where it was.
Not quite as good as a simple popup, mostly because of too much information.
Alfred

#3 Mike Power

Mike Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

I endorse kmac's suggestion.

And a further thought......

At the moment I have a wide range of different sentence formats for various facts. I keep these on a Word document so as to ensure consistency in structure, punctuation. etc.

So far, for example, I have six different sentences for the death fact in my database.

It is somewhat tedious, however, having to open the Word file and search for, copy and then paste the desired one over into RM.

It has occurred to me that it would be far better if it was possible to add these to a list in RM as each was created
  • categorised or "tagged" by fact type
So, for example, if you added a "death" fact and opened up the "Customised Sentence" edit screen, the pull down menu would show all the various sentence options you have created for that fact.
  • Select, click and go....

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1589 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

I would rather have the sentence templates out side of RM, easier to work with and play with before using in RM. They are in an Excel File, then I can see what the sentence looks like and change it before using it in RM. I also document in this file, my own created facts/events so I can remember which ones were built in and which ones I did.

In the same file another tab, I keep track of the properties file changes, so I know that I am actually cleaning up the citations, sources etc.... I started this in Word and switched to Excel because of the extra copying items [pull down column, cont + " in next cell below] you can use and sizes of the print areas...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 anneoutterson

anneoutterson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Mike
Would you be willing to share some or all of your templates? I have used some ideas from Laura (thanks Laura) already and found them useful in narratives.
Anne O

#6 kmac

kmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thank you, Alfred, for your response and suggestion. Actually, there were several good suggestions posted here on this subject. That got me to thinking..... I'd like to make another suggestion, something that I just stumbled upon .....

I am a Mac user and use an app called TextExpander to auto-complete frequently used pieces of text. I love a good shortcut! :) Anyway, TE does not work within Windows in the Parallels virtual machine. However, there is a couple of Windows programs that do the same thing. One of them is free for home/non-commercial use, PhaseExpress. I installed it and was able to import my text snippets from my Mac side for use within Windows 7 and RM. It works great! Also, you can have a popup menu in the Task Bar that enables you to select from all your text snippets (hmmmm .....sentence templates or components) and have it automatically paste into where you want it. Pretty slick, I'd say and a convenient solution until RM may come up with something better.

Hope this helps out someone else.
Kathy

#7 Mike Power

Mike Power

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

To anneoutterson: Happy to oblige. I am away from home (and my various genealogy files) for a few more weeks but I will send them them through on my return.

To Nettie:

I would rather have the sentence templates out side of RM, easier to work with and play with before using in RM. They are in an Excel File, then I can see what the sentence looks like and change it before using it in RM. ...

Yes, I agree that its beneficial to develop sentences "off-RM" and Excel is an ideal vehicle for this. Once this is done, however, and the template is tweaked and ready for use then it could be included in a library in RM, As I suggest, it could be tagged by fact type and available by pull-down menu.

If this could be done I don't see any advantage in having the templates stored separately.

I will probably re-post this suggestion as it is somewhat different to Kmac's original proposal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sentence, template