6 replies to this topic

#1 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm printing a calendar for Christmas and noticed the married name of my divorced and remarried daughter is wrong. Further investigation shows that RM5 prints out the FIRST married surname rather than the current one. I don't have time to track down and correct each incorrect entry on my rather full birthdays calendar.

How can I get RM5 to print out the correct (current) married surname for my divorced, remarried relatives?

Also, I noticed my unmarried daughter's "married" name when she is not married and doesn't believe in the custom. I note that RM5 marries everyone who is coupled even when no marriage is indicated. Some women, like my daughter, prefer to retain their "maiden" surname. How can I get RM5 to print the correct surnames on my calendar?

Help, please!

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving Day to all USA Roots Magicians,
Greg

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Some RM reports follow the spouse selected in the drop down list at the upper left of the main view. Don't know if that resolves some of your problems with Calendar but I don't think all. And it's check and change one at a time.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Dang that's obtuse and tedious. Sure seems simple to have the report look for the latest marriage that isn't followed by a divorce. Oh, well, at least your method does what I want done (mostly) - it still doesn't address my daughter who uses her maiden name rather than married. Thanks.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

I think it might need an enhancement of the database to control which name is used for a person in certain reports where it is not inherently the birth name. The Calendar report does have a checkbox to use/not use the married name for females but that's rather crude, given those who regain their maiden name after divorce, those who do not change their name when married (as in Quebec province) against those who have taken their husband's name and is how they are familiarly known. Maybe an exclusive checkbox is required against each Name and Alternate Name to designate which one is the preferred|primary|current name, as there is for Event-type facts (except it's not exclusive and should be).

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

The calendar seems to use the lower spouse in the list of spouses as the present married surname no matter what the date is.
So, for the one with the wrong surname, click on the "Spouses:2" button at the upper left and rearrange spouses so that the last one is at the bottom.

All I can suggest for the one using her maiden name is to give her a spouse with the same surname name as the bottom one, no marriage or anything else, just make sure it is at the bottom of the spouse list.
If you use something like: "Prefers maiden name" as the given name of the fictitious spouse, it won't look too bad in the individual summary or Family group sheet.
Alfred

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Be aware that any changes going into production would be for the current version (RM6 as of the current date).