5 replies to this topic

#1 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have web tagged sources since that is where most of the web tagged links point to -- part of the repository information or details citation, BUT, once I have clicked on Add Web Tag and chosen Source or citation, this added information seems to evaporate into thin air.

I go back to my person's edit screen, then to sources and don't see anything referring to the added web tag. I click on the Sources button for the fact to which the source belongs (in my case CENSUS).

I see the 3 sources that support this event, including the one to which I added the web tag--I see nothing about this web tag--there are columns for Source Name, Details, Source, Information, Evidence, BUT NO WEB TAGS. Also nothing in Free Form, Source text/comments or Research Notes/comments.

Lost--where do I find the information I added from web tags?

I finally clicked Edit for the source to which I added the Web Tags--nothing obvious there--nothing showing on the right summary.

What I had to do was click on all the tabs to finally find this link I added, NOT IN REPOSITORY, where I would think it would be, but in DETAILS TEXT, where the actual results still do not show. I had to click yet another button (Web Tags (1)) to see the URL I had added.

PLEASE rework this to be more available once it is added--preferably where we first see the source--so I can determine what sources do and do not have web tags.

Thanks

#2 ConnieS

ConnieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I've not tried attaching them to sources. I attach them to the person and they are readily available from an icon on the edit person screen.

#3 ConnieS

ConnieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm not attaching them to sources, which I don't think is necessary for a variety of reasons. I'm attaching them to the person, and they are readily available from the person's edit screen (although it would be nice to have a toolbar button for them, as has already been requested under enhancements).

#4 bookwalk

bookwalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm not attaching them to sources, which I don't think is necessary for a variety of reasons. I'm attaching them to the person, and they are readily available from the person's edit screen (although it would be nice to have a toolbar button for them, as has already been requested under enhancements).

I guess the way they are attached will probably determine how well they "synch" with the new "Family Tree" which have a Source Box and sources attached from a similar "web tag" which usually go to the Source, since it is part of the "repository".

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

The Master source Webtag button is on the Master text screen and Detail text screen for Source details. For Places it is on the Edit place screen. On Research logs, it is on the Research log, Research item, Research log entry screen.
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Similar issues from way back with Media when attached to sources, citations, places and place details. We have seen improvement with the accessibility of media tagged to Places and Place Details in this upgrade so I hope it will not be long before we see such improvements not only for media but also web tags in all these areas.
Tom user of RM6306 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
Posted Imagewiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Posted Image app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.